1978 25 hp evinrude problems help!!!

zac25hp

Recruit
Hi all, I have just recently bought a bout which for the first few months taking it out went fine, The other night how ever i ran into a different problem at every corner in the end resulting drifting with the tides back to the closest boat ramp (5 hours:mad:)

1 = Motor has a miss in it i have replaced the coils, power pack and cleaned the caby. What else can it be can do it when idling or when full throttle it cuts power for second causing the boat to surge back and forth.

2 = After fishing all night went to come home and hit a sand bar ( not hard) but with the motor running like it was it stalled anyway. When i started it back up and placed it in gear it wouldnt go anywhere? i turned it off and played with gearbox lever and i could put it in forward or reverse and could turn the motor with it? Any ideas what i have broken? :facepalm:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1978 25 hp evinrude problems help!!!

1. Dunno, sounds like one cylinder is cutting in or out. Could be a host of possibilities, mostly ignition. Simple possibility---spark plug???

2. It doesn't have a drive (shear) pin, so it's pretty safe to guess you spun the propeller hub.

zac25hp

Recruit

1. Dunno, sounds like one cylinder is cutting in or out. Could be a host of possibilities, mostly ignition. Simple possibility---spark plug???

2. It doesn't have a drive (shear) pin, so it's pretty safe to guess you spun the propeller hub.

I have new spark plugs in it I'm going to change power pack and hope that is going to sort the problem out it is a 1978 outboard does the prop have a bush it feels tight?

zac25hp

Recruit

Just to put an update on how things are going. I have pulled lower housing out to find a very clean snap at the top of the drive shaft problem is that its stuck in side of it. right at the base of the spline. Not sure how i am going to get this out yet. Problem with the miss i was recieveing is the hood lining was piece by piece coming off and going through the carb at a guess.

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer

Did you hit something while running?