Looking for my uncle's boat

Uncle Paul

Seaman Apprentice
Not sure if this is the right forum for this, please let me know.... I am looking for a Boat that my uncle owned in the early seventies. The boat is a 36' wooden Trojan with twin marine gray's. My uncle docked the boat at voyager marina on the Genesee river around 1970-1972. I believe the boat's name was Kardeth (could be miss spelled) I have asked if the marina had any info on the boat after my uncle sold it, but there records don't go back that far. I would like to find the boat, or at least know where it ended up. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Paul

Ned L

Commander
Re: Looking for my uncle's boat

At least in NJ, registrations changed from a federal (U.S.C.G.) thing to a state thing about 1965, so the C.G. won't have any records. A boat that size might have been federally documented (U.S.C.G.), but probably not on an inland river. Also, Trojans were fiairly lightly built sheet plywood back then, VERY few have survived to now.

Uncle Paul

Seaman Apprentice

This boat was plank..... Not plywood....
Thanks

Uncle Paul

Seaman Apprentice

This is the only pic of the boat that is still around. not much of a picuncle gow's boat the kardeth.jpg

Last edited:

Ned L

Commander

Hmm, my apologies, she is planked.

shrew

Lieutenant

You just don't see that many old wooden boats around from that vintage anymore. I wouldn't expect to find it floating, if you find it at all. There's no place to register a boat being scrapped. When it's time, they are simply scrapped. A lot of people gave up on the time and cost to maintain a wooden boat when fiberglass boats became standard production.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just to add - don't give up. A neighbor had a specially built Olds 442 that he drag raced for GM back in the early 70's. He had a baby, and had to sell it. A couple years ago, he set out to find it. It had custom fiberglass body panels and mural's painted on it (UFO - Unidentified Flying Olds) so it was uniquely identifiable. It took a long time, but he did eventually find it sitting in a barn, 3 or 4 owners down the line.

Good luck with the search.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We had 3 different fiberglass Trojans and they were all great. I have seen a lot of the wooden Trojans in Michigan when we lived there and they were the niceist looking boat on the water, especially the ones with the fly bridge.