New Decking

ShepC719

Cadet
I have a 1973 Starcraft Capri 15, and I am going to be replacing the decking very soon. I am a first timer to this whole process since I have only ever had alumimum V-Hulls up until now. I know I need to use marine grade plywood, but I'm not sure what type I should use and how thick it needs to be. I'm not totally sure when I'm going to start working on this project, but I want to have all of my ducks in a row before I start. I'm hoping that it will be able to wait until late in the year or winter, but I have noticed a couple of spots that may hinder that plan. If any of you have any ideas that would be a great help. Thanks!

rickryder

Commander
Re: New Decking

Shep Welcome the iboats and the Dry Dock!

Please post pics of your boat and the areas in question you want to repair.

That will help us to guide you to the proper direction ;)

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

You don't have to use marine grade plywood, there are less expensive options.

Is this a fiberglass Starcraft? If so, you may have more work ahead of you than you think.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If you have access to Arauco plywood from Lowes/Menards/Home Depot, a lot of us are using it. You can go anywhere from 1/2" to 3/4". If you can find 5/8", that's a nice compromise in solidness and weight.

ShepC719

Cadet

My Starcraft is Fiberglas. I have been reading some of the other posts and looking at the pictures of what they are doing with their Capri. It does look like there may be more work than I'm expecting, but I like a challenge. If I don't use marine grade plywood is there something I need to do in order to protect it from moisture?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Yes, you'll be fiberglassing over your deck to protect it and to tie it back into the hull.

The additional work I was talking about is not only is your deck probably rotting, you more than likely have saturated foam and rotting stringers below deck too. When this happens it is usually tied to a rotten transom too from all the moisture below deck.

I may be wrong and you may be one of the very few lucky ones that only has to replace his deck, but the odds aren't in your favor.

ShepC719

Cadet

Also another question (and it's probably a stupid one) since I am new to fiberglas work, and everything else involved in restoring a boat. What is this peanut butter stuff I keep reading about? Like I said it's propbably a stupid question, but I've never heard of it. I'm also pretty sure that once I get into this project I will have to repair the transom as well. From what I've seen that looks like a pretty large project in and of it's self. Am I correct in that assumption?

ShepC719

Cadet

After seeing the 74' Starcraft restoration project, I can only imagine that I will be in the same boat (lol) as he was. I'm sure the stringers and the transom will need to be replaced. Would it really matter if the project waits a few months as long as the deck isn't too bad. Of course if we start falling through the floor that will be an issue but other than that would this be a good project to let wait until fall/winter?

rickryder

Commander

If your just putting around the pond I'd say you'll float..... I wouldn't be going crashin wakes and pulling tubes or skiers....

PB is resin mixed with cabosil for thickening and chopped milled glass fibers.....it used for bedding stringers and transoms and as a structural filler...