1989 Johnson 110 thermostat replacement

Barnett

Recruit
Need to replace the thermostats on a 1989 Johnson 110, J110TXCEM. Will the lower engine cover drop enough to do the job? Or, must I pull the power head? Also wondering about torque values for thermostat cover bolts. Anybody know? Thanks for your time!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 Johnson 110 thermostat replacement

Best thing I can tell you is look over the threads on this forum. There's lots of tricks to doing it with out pulling the power head.

Barnett

Recruit

Thanks for your reply, boobie. I've been looking. Haven't found anything yet.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

On the early bubble backs, if you lower the bottom cowling, it will move enough to give clearance to work on the stats/housing. The later ones like yours, don't seem to move quite as much. Even still, it's best to unbolt it for added working clearance. It's flatrate of nearly 3 hours to remove and replace the powerhead. Most mechanics can get the job done in much less time, so they rarely get removed. Still, you will expect some skinned knuckles. I've heard of some that will put the assembly together with thread through the bolt holes, then cut the thread prior to torquing the three bolts. Others have drilled holes in the back of the lower cowling for added wrench clearance. As boobie says, there are a number of threads in this form on the subject. A 1/4" drive set with a swivel knuckle is a good tool set for this job.

Barnett

Recruit

Thanks emdsapmgr. I have the tools and will attempt the repair myself. My knuckles heal quickly :)