Can I use fully threaded studs in place of double sided exhaust manifold studs?

perna00

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm looking for an expensive and hard to find 4" double sided manifold stud. I've found I can get some industrial threaded studs (316 stainless) that are the correct length/diameter. I can get 316 stainless nuts for them as well. Can I use them instead of the factory threaded stud/smooth shank/threaded stud ones? The difference in price is $80 that I can use on other parts the engine needs. What do you think? If I need to, I can use an epoxy putty to smooth the middle of the shank out if it is needed. Any advice?

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: Can I use fully threaded studs in place of double sided exhaust manifold studs?

If you buy a die for stainless and rod stock you can make new ones that are exactly like the originals. I made a lot of block studs for my Mercs when the original ones were corroded. Just make sure you have the correct die and it's a piece of cake.

perna00

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Can I use fully threaded studs in place of double sided exhaust manifold studs?

How much can I expect to pay for the stock and dyes?

perna00

Petty Officer 1st Class

If anyone was interested, I got stainless steel bolts, cut the ends off, and make the correct threading on the other side. Worked great.

Evil Eagle

Cadet

good to know!