97 40hp not running right

akdiesel

Cadet
I have a E40TELEUC that I cannot get running just right.
Last year I found a reed valve hanging open just a hair so I flipped it and was running decent. About half way through the season I got a stray line wrapped around the prop and it killed the motor. After that it would run very weak at idle for the rest of the season.
This year I checked the reeds again the on that I flipped was hanging open again so I bought new reeds and it is running stronger but something dosen't seem right. Checked the coil found it was weak replaced that, and the wires and plugs. cleaned the carbs and all new fuel lines. The only thing I have not checked was the power puck.
Here is a video from today as you can see the top carb is touchy when I put my finger on the vacuum hole the motor cuts out but on the bottom carb it barely affects the motor. I ran the motor and pulled the plug wires one at a time, same thing top plug motor cuts out, bottom plug it runs a little rough.
What I was trying to show in the video but you cannot see is every 10 seconds it puffs out some smoke out of the exhaust then runs clear. I don't know what the deal is. Any help?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkThN9NhYug&context=C4d45f2dADvjVQa1PpcFPZ0WLZeLermhw-BkD24nqGurjPm1JYOjY=

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 97 40hp not running right

Have you checked the spark with a spark tester? It should jump a 7/16" air gap and be bright blue. By stalling when you pull the top plug wire and just runs rough when you pull the bottom wire, I wounder about the bottom cylinder, spark, compression or maybe carb problems.