motor stumbling

cobraxrr

Cadet
Hi guys I have a question. I just took my 1978 chrysler 140 out the other day for a test run and it ran ok and most of the time even great as for as i could tell. except when i am at idle and give it the gas to take off it seems to stumble a bit but then clears up and runs fine. I just want to know if this sounds like a fuel issue or what. it has 4 brand new spark plugs in it and i just had the head gasket replaced by a licensed mechanic. Thank you

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: motor stumbling

It is possible that the engine is running rich. She will load up at idle then when you gun it it will stumble and take a couple of seconds to clear itself.

HOWEVER: Lean running will almost always cause damage at or near full throttle so if you can live with it, it is way better to have the engine a tad rich.

If you want to try setting the carbs, follow the directions in the sticky: Synchronizing timing and carbs.

cobraxrr

Cadet
Re: motor stumbling

It is possible that the engine is running rich. She will load up at idle then when you gun it it will stumble and take a couple of seconds to clear itself.

HOWEVER: Lean running will almost always cause damage at or near full throttle so if you can live with it, it is way better to have the engine a tad rich.

If you want to try setting the carbs, follow the directions in the sticky: Synchronizing timing and carbs.

Thanks for the responce Frank. I can definatley live with it running a little rich,I don't want to damage the engine. Ill look into the synchronizing timing and carbs thank you.