looking to buy gps

bcclew

Cadet
whays out their not a crazy amount of money?chart planner and transducer?thanks for the help//////

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: looking to buy gps

whays out their not a crazy amount of money?chart planner and transducer?thanks for the help//////

Define what you mean by "crazy". What do you want it to do? Where will you be using it and how?

Thanks,
TerryMSU

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Chart plotters can run from $300 - $5000. What price range are you looking for? What do you want it to do? Are you satisified with the basic program that installed or do you want SD cards for high detail and specific areas? What do you need a transducer for? Do you want an integrated depth sounder or did you mean to reference an antenna? There are models with internal and external antennas. Color or B&W?

Stick with a good name such as Garmin or Magellan or Lowrance and find the models that are a year or two older for the right price. You can find older Garmin B&W units for $150 (or less) on eBay and local CL ads. The bigger screen, more functions, touch screen, etc are all going to play into the price.

bcclew

Cadet

thanks for the reply. i had a gps on a boat i had for about a month.sold it bought another this one does not have gps. having said that mabe i dont understand how one works? i know off a satlite ? im looking for boat spot depth and mabe speed. beside the gps what else do need for this to happen? price up to $400.00 thanks again

bcclew

Cadet

what do you guys think about a Garmin GPSMAP 421? thanks

jhebert

Ensign

What does this mean? Especially what do the six slashes at the end mean?

bcclew

Cadet

look at my last reply. Re: looking to buy gps
thanks for the reply. i had a gps on a boat i had for about a month.sold it bought another this one does not have gps. having said that mabe i dont understand how one works? i know off a satlite ? im looking for boat spot depth and mabe speed. beside the gps what else do need for this to happen? price up to $400.00 thanks again

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

look at my last reply. Re: looking to buy gps

So it sound like you want a depth sounder with GPS capability ( I know you said GPS with depth sounder, but they get marketed the other way around.). Are you planning on using this in small lakes, larger lakes, rivers, or an ocean? That will make some difference in what you need to spend. Also, you may (and probably will) need to by a map chip for where you are using it. That will add some bucks to the equation. Are you planning on using it as a fish finder as well? That will impact your selection. If you are not fishing, I would consider a used larger screen unit with a color display. Add Humminbird to the list of suppliers above.

TerryMSU

bcclew

Cadet

ill be using it on the bay and the ocean its just when you read all the specs. its not all that clear.but ill keep trying thanks

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Garmin makes a decent monochome unit ( I believe it was the 162) with external antenna and no SD card required. You should be able to find that or it's equivilent pretty cheap. They have a better than bas program installed, readout of compass, direction, speed, waypoints, etc. as well as leaving a trail marking for finding your way back. I would go with a spearate depth gauge/transducer or fishfinder for the depth and /or bottom contour.