Gear Box is Beeping at Me. Won't let me GO!

adriandavidpayne

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a JOHNSON J150STLCEM 1989 V6 150 Motor. I just had a brand new OEM Rectifier put on a C&O. Now the tach works. HOWEVER, I took it out for the first time since I had it put on Friday. It idled for a minute then the gear box starting beeping at me. 3 long beeps, then it repeats. It wouldn't let me take off, it bogged down and then shut off. After we left if for a few minutes, it did start and I was able to get up to speed, then again after a minute, BEEEEP, BEEEEEP, BEEEEEEP. Before I had this Rectifier put on it ran PERFECTLY! What is this beep?

Thanks,
Adrian

BTW, New Waterpump 10 trips ago, and it is Peeing as it should.
I disconnected the VRO & Warning wires last year. It has been working Perfectly like I said...

laderwell

Cadet
Re: Gear Box is Beeping at Me. Won't let me GO!

I have a JOHNSON J150STLCEM 1989 V6 150 Motor. I just had a brand new OEM Rectifier put on a C&O. Now the tach works. HOWEVER, I took it out for the first time since I had it put on Friday. It idled for a minute then the gear box starting beeping at me. 3 long beeps, then it repeats. It wouldn't let me take off, it bogged down and then shut off. After we left if for a few minutes, it did start and I was able to get up to speed, then again after a minute, BEEEEP, BEEEEEP, BEEEEEEP. Before I had this Rectifier put on it ran PERFECTLY! What is this beep?

Thanks,
Adrian

BTW, New Waterpump 10 trips ago, and it is Peeing as it should.
I disconnected the VRO & Warning wires last year. It has been working Perfectly like I said...

Ok check these out Does the tone become continuous ?

1 - A steady constant beep = Overheating.
V6 engines, possibly some others, have a fuel restriction warning which is ALSO a steady constant beep.

2 - A beep every 20 or 40 seconds = oil level has dropped to 1/4 tank. (Late model engine = Every 40 seconds)

3 - A beep every other second = VRO failure, air leak in oil line, oil restriction, (anything that would result in a lack of oil being supplied to the engine).

If the warning horn is the black plastic three wire type horn, the warning horn should beep once when the ignition key is turned to the ON position. If it
does not, it is either faulty or someone has disconnected it (a stupid move!). At any rate, if it does not beep which indicates that the horn is non functional, find out why and do not run the engine until the problem is corrected.

adriandavidpayne

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The Warning horn does sound when I first turn on the key. The beeping today was more like with the frequency of a car alarm, It beeps every couple of seconds. Beeep, Beeep, Beeep, & off for a second, then back to Beeep, Beeep, Beeep. The beeps last for about 2 seconds. I disconnected the VRO last year and capped off the oil line and have been mixing the oil in with the gas for about 9 months with no problems. It wasn't until I got it back from the shop with the new rectifier did this beeping start happening. I ran it for a little bit and touched the heads, they were only warm to the touch, not hot.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Have you got the wires disconnected from the vro ?? It makes sense that after a new rectifier the charging system is now working which is the only way the vro can tell the mtr is running and starts beeping the no oil.

adriandavidpayne

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I guess I need to go back through the steps to locate where wires from the VRO are & check & see if they are disconnected. Does it sound like a "No Oil" beep to you. I still can't explain why I got bogged down today and it wouldn't get out of the hole... It did eventually stopped bogging down after a few attempts, but it has NEVER bogged down before & has good compression.

Question is: does this warning beep also have a safety feature to shut you down?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

That engine has the SLOW system. The engine will limit rpm's to 2500 to protect itself when any of these signals are encountered: overheat, no oil, low oil, fuel vacuum signal. Make sure the wires to the old remote oil tank are disconnected.

Haffiman

Commander

Have you checked the charge voltage output from your new rectifier??

adriandavidpayne

Petty Officer 3rd Class

SLOW system, whew! That explains it. Yes Haffiman I have checked the voltage. Off the battery was 12.03 running in the driveway it was at 12.81. Off to check all the wires...

adriandavidpayne

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK, so I looked and I guess the mechanic hooked the VRO harness back up when he changed the rectifier, (Black, Tan, & Gray). Now, I don't remember, but I think I did disconnect the wires from the oil reservoir last year. *QUESTION* where would the wires (Tan & Black) from the oil reservoir be going in the motor so I can look and see if they are disconnected? I know there is no longer a wire from the tank, but can't find a Black & Tan wire anywhere...

boobie

Supreme Mariner

On that mtr I believe the SLOW system kicks in only when you have an overheat, not the rest of the warnings. Start right at the vro and follow the wires from it to a connector. If it's not unplugged, do it.

adriandavidpayne

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, come to find out, the VRO harness was connected, I disconnected it and ran it for 10 minutes no beeping. Yesterday, when it was beeping, it never got above 3000 RPM . After it set for a while, it ran at full speed, but then started beeping again. I'm hoping the bogging down is due to the SLOW system because it has NEVER done that before. We'll see the next time it's above 70? here...

Haffiman

Commander

Which spark plugs are you using?

clanton

Rear Admiral

Overheat only will set S.L.O.W., unless you have shorted blocker diode.

Haffiman

Commander

Erratic beeping and slow on those engines I have sometimes traced to 'wild sparks' setting off into the temp switch wires. The reason for my plug question above. Be sure plug leads are properly clamped to the heads and away from the temp switch leads.

adriandavidpayne

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Went out today after unplugging the VRO harness, No Bogging, No Beeping. S.L.O.W. would appear to have been activated through that harness...