Shift rod coupler - 1962 28h Johhny

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer
Anybody know how many years/models overlap on this part? Would a 1959 35h be compatible?

Mine is stripped and Im at a dead end on finding one....

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Shift rod coupler - 1962 28h Johhny

Yup, same connector, they are pretty common actually, should be quite easy.

lindy46

Captain

They used the same coupler for many years.

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

Just to be clear for later, when assembling the shift rod I want the shifter and LU in neutral, correct?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Doesn't really matter. I move it around to where I can get best access to the bolts that hold the coupler in place. Make sure the detents in the upper and lower shift rods are centered in the bolt holes or you'll be right back where you started with stripped threads....

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

Doesn't really matter. I move it around to where I can get best access to the bolts that hold the coupler in place. Make sure the detents in the upper and lower shift rods are centered in the bolt holes or you'll be right back where you started with stripped threads....

Ok thanks CW.

I had read (and been told) that everything needs to be in N.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Nah, as Chinewalker stated, every motor is different.

I personally put them in forward, raising the coupler up out of the way until the gearcase is bolted up, then I install the shift rod in the coupler. Trying to line up 3 things at once can be a pain in the arse by yourself. Make it easy.

Just be sure the detent (groove) is centered in the hole, put a flashlight in there to be certain, or there will be issues.

Also, dont drop the screw back into the gearcase. It would be stupid to do that, I would never do that :)

lindy46

Captain

I usually put the shift lever in forward, so the upper rod is out of the way. Then I make sure the lower unit is in reverse (lower shift rod down) and re-attach the lower unit. Then I move the shift lever slowly to reverse and guide the coupler (which is on the upper shift rod) down to mesh with the lower shift rod.

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

Well Ive got the LU already on so thats one less thing.

I guess the "pro boat mechanic" I had helping me do the new impeller last fall evidently didnt get the detent in tight and it went fubar.

lindy46

Captain

If that recess in the top of the shift rod does not line up with the bolt hole, then the threads on the bolt itself will get rounded/stripped, and they will damage the threads in the connector. You may get the bolt to tighten once, but with the recess not lined up with the hole, the shift rod will not be positioned correctly, and the motor may not engage correctly into gear. That shift rod length is pretty critical in proper shifting of the motor, and if not correct, can cause damage to the clutch dog and gears in the gearcase.

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

Got ya Lindy. I knew it was supposed to fit just so, but the "pro boat mechanic" that was giving me a hand put it back together while I was looking for something. I figured he knew how to do it right too, and I asked him if he got it together snug, but I guess not... Got to the lake and she popped apart and all I had was reverse.

Pretty tight window to work with in there, hope I can get it aligned right this time. I may put a mark on the bottom rod to have a point of reference when putting it together.

I may try to tap out the stripped coupler in the meantime, just for S&G. Probably wont work, but its worth a shot while Im waiting for parts in the driveway.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

One little trick I use when re-connecting the shift rod is I turn the prop gently to where reverse wont mesh. The clutch dog touches the high side of the reverse gear, so to speak. This way, you can move the shift lever to the reverse position and you can better see the hole in the coupler line up, with the indent of the shift rod, without the coupler going down out of sight.

lindy46

Captain

Another tip - if there is any resistance at all when trying to re-insert the bolt through the coupler hole, then the shift rod isn't aligned properly. The first side of the split coupler is not threaded and the bolt should pass easily though until it reaches the second, threaded side and grabs hold.

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll put them to use soon I hope.