First time out in our new used boat

hillsideshortleg

Seaman Apprentice
Just bought a 89 280 sundancer. On the water last weekend (15 minutes) and first time in the water this year. Ran the boat at slower speeds for a while then I wanted to open it up a little. I opened it up and all the sudden it acted like our old 16' sea swirl acted like when we had a bunch of seaweed wraped around the prop. We found that the starboard side was ok but the port side was doing nothing. We found our slip running on one motor, and at the slip with the motors turned off but in gear the starboard side prop, would turn clock wise but would turn counter clockwise. The port side had a clicking feel as it turned clockwise and also turned counter clockwise the same as the starboard side. The clicking didnt feel like like gears barely touching, it felt like it was coming against something that was spring loaded. I would apply a little more pressure and it would rotate. This was laying on the dock facing the back of the boat. Someone mentioned the shift cable, can anyone offer any advice. This boat has been very well cared for and the old owner was with us teaching us about the boat.
Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: First time out in our new used boat

Shift cables (especially the lower shift cable from engine to drive) are noted for failing. They corrode, wear out or whatever.
It could also be adjustment, but if work had been done on it, but usually when it worked last year, and not this year, it's a lower shift cable failing.

hillsideshortleg

Seaman Apprentice
Re: First time out in our new used boat

I just ran up to the lake and left the boat tied to the dock and started the port side and and gave it some gas. It started to pull the dock then didnt seem to have much pull. Reverse was the same. I started the starboard side and could really feel the pull so I didnt even take it off of a idle. I shut them both off and raised the outdrives and I could feel a resistance 6 times in one revolution as I turned the prop. I could also hear a clicking noise at the six points. The mechanic that usualy works on this boat sugested a coupling at the back of the motor. I am pushing for something a lot more simple. So does it still sound like a shift cable problem?
Thanks for any help
I am hoping to go up there and pull the boat out of the water and remove the out drive and leave the boat up there. I think I will be extremely bummed if we have to pull the boat back to town.