1968 Bearcat 55. Overheating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbuck

Recruit
Hey Guys. Just bought a boat with a 1968 Bearcat 55. Engine hadn't been run in 2 years. Changed out the spark plugs, oil, gear oil, checked the impeller, turned the key and it fired right up and idled smooth. Took it for a spin and it ran great at slower speeds. Gave it full throttle and the engine ran smooth for about two minutes then cut back to about half speed. Cut it back to trolling speed for a few moments and then gave it the gas again and same thing happenned. Ran great for a few minutes then cut back to half power again. Still ran smooth just no power. It seems to have good water circulation. pee streams are strong but the water coming out the starboard stream is hotter than the water coming out the port. Ideas?

I am fairly confident this engine has few hours and all the components look great. Even has the original wiring in great shape!

Re: 1968 Bearcat 55. Overheating?

You say pee streams port and stbd? Should have only one pee hose, on a '68 it should be hooked up on the manifold just below the bottom carb. As far as it shutting down to half speed, it sounds like it's running out of fuel. Float level too low, restriction in the line somewhere. I had a problem like this when the o-rings where bad in the fuel line connection and it was sucking air.

That would be my website. I've only covered the differences in the lower units.

mbuck

Recruit

Figured it out. Thanks to Bill Roberts at Roberts Marine Services. It has a drain that had the plug missing. Works like a champ now. Very impressed with these engines!

That makes sense now. Someone drained the block for storage to keep from cracking it. I've put a valve on mine. So what's up with it shutting down to 1/2 throttle? Is that fixed too?

duffsgarage

Recruit

That makes sense now. Someone drained the block for storage to keep from cracking it. I've put a valve on mine. So what's up with it shutting down to 1/2 throttle? Is that fixed too?

I had a problem like that and it turned out to be the nylon key in the top of the camshaft that links to the distributor was torn. I made a metal replacement and never had the problem again.

raycurt1953

Recruit
Hello

I have a bearcat 55 and it is running hot. in fact, the exhaust manifold that the thermal switch is mounted in is so hot that water sprayed on the outer surface sizzles, indicating a temperature of over the boiling point of water. The only way that that could happen is if the manifold had hot exhaust gas inside and not cooling water. The water pump has a new/used impeller and I rebuilt the lower end last summer. The Pee tube is spraying water.

My thought is that the pump is not putting enough water out to keep the top end filled with water. The thermostat has been removed and the housing has been cut out to let water bypass. The thermostat cover is a solid flat plate.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This thread is as dead as Bearcat manufacturing!

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.