Throttle valve on cold start

Tasteebass

Recruit
1974 Evinrude 85 hp. Should the throttle valve be open during a cold start? Choke valves are closed, but when the fast idle is all the way up, the throttle is still completely shut. Thinking i may need to tweak the linkage if so. Thx

Haffiman

Commander
Re: Throttle valve on cold start

How much, if at all, the throttle valves open all depends on your link-and synch, play in remote and cable as well as cable adjustments. Do NOT play with the linkage as that will throw off your link and synch!!

Tasteebass

Recruit

Thanks for the reply. I have the manual, and understand the link and sync procedure. I'm more asking if the end result should be: at full fast idle, on a cold start, should the throttle valves open a little bit to assist in the start, or remain closed. The answer to this may very well warrant a link and sync. Currently, the valve remains closed. I have been having trouble on the cold start, and traced some ignition issues to a bad rectifier, and then a sticky leaking stator. New rectifier is in, stator is on the way. During all of the troubleshooting, I noticed the action of the throttle valve during fast idle. I couldn't find anywhere in the manual stating if the throttle should open up a little bit as the cam rotates with max fast idle. Thanks in advance.

Haffiman

Commander

On some engines, not sure about yours, it is a mark on the cam that says 'start'. If everything is correctly adjusted, no play in remote and cables, this is where the cam should be when idle lever on remote is fully raised (in START position) That mark is about 1/2" after the pick-up point mark. Normally I would say the throttle plates should open slightly.