power trim wiring color issues please help

angel_guardian

Seaman Apprentice
i just bought a used tilt/trim pump for my project boat. the wiring does not match up on colors so i'm kinda stuck. coming from the pump I have a thin light blue line, a thicker green wire, and a thick red wire. also a thin purple wire that doesn't connect to the pump. now on the motor side at the wiring harness I have a thin blue wire, thin green wire, thin tan wire, and a thin brown/white wire. when I connect the two thin blue wires together I get trim up relay clicking, when I connect the thick green and thin green wires I get trim down relay clicks. where does the red wire from the trim go? I"m not getting any trim up or down just clicks at the relay. Thanks in advance for any advice.

angel_guardian

Seaman Apprentice
Re: power trim wiring color issues please help

I have has issues with not seeing replies before. Is this another case or have 80 people viewed and no responses yet?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

You should have a neg and pos from pump to battery, Its sound like that red your asking goes to battery +...

angel_guardian

Seaman Apprentice

I'm sorry I should have clarified, I already had power chords to battery connected. This is a second red wire running along thru the group of all wires. I guess biggest question is the extra wires but also if I'm getting clicks at relay but can't hear pump motor kick on then is it a bad motor or connection somewhere? Which takes me back to write matching...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It would help if everyone knew what motor you were working on, SN maybe.

angel_guardian

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry. 82-84 150 black max. Sn not on top of head.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

On those PTT models, blue is for trim up, green is for trim down. Thin wires actuate solenoids, and thick wires can run the pump itself, w/o a solenoid.

Purple is for trim limit switch, which is usually broken.

The way they are normally wired is red to solenoid(s) and to trim panel. Blue from trim panel switch thru trim limit switch, to up solenoid. Green from Trim Panel switch to down solenoid if it has one, or directly to down wire on pump motor. Pump motor should have three wires, green, blue and black(ground).

Not sure about brown....maybe trim gauge sender?