Towing to Lake Moomaw(in VA)

Treker57

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not sure if anyone here has been to Lake Moomaw nortwest of Covington VA. Late last fall I drove to this lake to check it out and see if I wanted to take my pontoon there as I am getting tired of Smith Mountain Lake. This lake is very remote and boat traffic is suppoed to be very light and the lake is supposed to produce more fishing citations than most parts of VA, it also has thermal layers that supports many fish species. While driving in from the north, Harrisonburg VA, I was drivig through the mountains and while my Excursion handles the up and down, some of the corners are so tight I am wonder how it would be with the toon behind me and my overall length is 44'. Most of the road is fine but there are 3 corners that I can see the boat being in the other lane for sure. While I saw very little traffic if any, murphy's law says it will be otherwise when I go there. There are pontoons and other boats there on trailers and even a 25' sailboat

https://www.google.com/search?q=pic...Aet0d2BCA&sqi=2&ved=0CFoQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=775

Guess I need to call and see if they can tell me,but figured I ask here sine this is the best boating forum on the web with a wealth of info

TorchedGT

Seaman
Re: Towing to Lake Moomaw(in VA)

Just slow down and go for it, people need to share the road in general, but for 3 corners I'm sure it shouldn't be an issue. I often find myself worrying about the same things, but it's getting increasingly frustrating with the stupid and impatient/dangerous drivers around here - it's obviously even worse while towing. Now-a-days I just drive at a speed that makes me comfortable and tune-out the rest of the world. Slow down and wait for oncoming traffic to clear and go for the twisties. Are there any other approaches to the marina / ramp?

I'll have to check out that lake, I've been wanting to drive up to the GW national forest for a LONG time so I can take the rover off-road, since it's pretty much the only area in the state that lets you do it anymore, plus camping. It would be really cool to bring the boat up there and do everything in one shot, go off-road/camping a few days then put the boat in and stay out on the waters. I wonder how far it is from the DC area? I recall ~3 hours.

Treker57

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Towing to Lake Moomaw(in VA)

I'm guessing for you it would be about 4 hours to get to Lake Moomaw. There is a boat ramp at the southern end of the lake(coles point) north of Covington Va, but that leaves my rig down there. After looking at the map some more I am going to try RT 687 off of 39( Warm Springs Va) to RT 603. Think that this will work better, plus it leads straight to the marina and the campgrounds are just a minute of two away. Know what you mean about crazy drivers, we lived in Alexandria for 12 years up until 2006 when we moved to Massanutten VA, had my own Landscaping biz up there so trailer towing is nothing new. I worry more about some impatient idiot slaming into the boat(than me driving there) and then me getting 60 days for assaulting the windshield, tires and such on thier vehicle.