which mfg do i have????????

stretch8668

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i was told to come here to see what model of mfg i have, i have a thread in the restoration forum titled 'my first boat 1962 mfg' i managed to find the metal plate on the back and it has mfg on it and 1462-1395 under it. i belive the first two are the year and length but whats the 1395?:confused:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Re: which mfg do i have????????

Hey Stretch, the niagra had a length of 14'-4" and at the transom 59" . The westfield was 15'-3' and 611/2" This came from an old brochure on fiberglassic's mfg library . Its fuzzy and kinda hard to read.

stretch8668

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i read the same article why i was guessing it was a niagra and on the registration i got it says its 14 which would make it a niagra right?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Check the transom width next time your out and see how it matches up. Its funny the plate doesn't say mine has Edinboro printed right on it but mine is a 64.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

mfg on it and 1462-1395 under it. i belive the first two are the year and length but whats the 1395?:confused:

The '14' might be the mold #.
The '62' is likely the year of manufacture.
The '1395' is the serial number. I don't have history info to discern if that means it was the three-hundred-ninety-fifth pulled from the molds that year, or if there were actually thirteen-hundred-ninety-five made to that point.

I do not believe that if you tape ANY MFG Niagara, Carefree, etc. that you will have it measure 14' or 13' or 15' exactly. Many Niagaras are 13'8" stern-to-bow down the centerline, 14'4" measured along the gunwales transom to bow. But there are Niagaras I have personally seen and measured that are almost 15' measured on the centerline. And I saw a Carefree once (supposed to be 12') that measured 12'11" centerline.

Modern way to measure is centerline; from the wooden boat era (and the molds for these boats were struck from wood lapstrake hulls) one would measure along the top of the hull from furthest-forward bow-point to the stern.

Post a picture; a '62 Niagara is pretty distinctive when you look at the deck forward of the windshield.

stretch8668

Petty Officer 2nd Class

here are some pics i have some more in other thread that i mentionedboat after.jpgboat after 2.jpgboat befoe.jpg

Jon Sob

Master Chief Petty Officer

I am not an expert but it looks like a Niagara to me.

stretch8668

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok thanks thats what i was leaning towards with the research i was doing