1993 Glastron floor restoration in progress with pics!

krakatoa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hello Guys!
After 4 years having fun in my Glastron its time to do something in floor. Last owner just throw a few wood panels without any protection. I want to share a few pics of the job until now from, 3 days of hard work and cutting around

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

image4.jpg

image5.jpg

image6.jpg

Last edited:

krakatoa

Re: 1993 Glastron floor restoration in progress with pics!

a few more pics
image7.jpg

image8.jpg

image9.jpg

Big mistake here, If the foam is dry leave it alone, do not remove it! This will save you more than $100.00 bucks! Its possible to be dirty on top as mine in the picture but If dry NO PROBLEM. Have no idea why I remove mine!

image10.jpg

Last edited:

krakatoa

Cleaning process

clean1.jpg

clean2.jpg

clean3.jpg

clean4.jpg

clean6.jpg

clean7-1.jpg

Last edited:

krakatoa

Well playing with some wood panels around! Here we go..

img1.jpg

img2.jpg

img3.jpg

img4.jpg

img5.jpg

img6.jpg

Last edited:

krakatoa

Well ready for phase 2 start to prepare the panels for sanding and the first glassing for the bottom. until today 4 days of hard work, just took today for rest, but tomorrow up in the boat again. Here a pic of a few supplies. Yes I know its just "a few" supplies just for start...

supplies.jpg

Last edited:

krakatoa

panel ready for glassing, this is the bottom side, 3 yds of 1.5 csm already go here.

fb-1.jpg

fb-2.jpg

Last edited:

xanthras

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey thats a nice looking boat. I am sure someone else will pop in here soon, as I am no expert. Couple things stick out. Did you core sample or check how solid the stringers are? Also, I thought I saw some diamond plate steel on the inside of your transom. That is usually indicative of a problem with the transom. I dont think anyone did that from the factory. Since you are already this far into it I would at least check into these things before you glass the floor down. Also, are you gong to re-foam?

krakatoa

Hey thats a nice looking boat. I am sure someone else will pop in here soon, as I am no expert. Couple things stick out. Did you core sample or check how solid the stringers are? Also, I thought I saw some diamond plate steel on the inside of your transom. That is usually indicative of a problem with the transom. I dont think anyone did that from the factory. Since you are already this far into it I would at least check into these things before you glass the floor down. Also, are you gong to re-foam?

Hello There Xanthras, the stringers are solid no need to go that far, the "diamod plate steel " is a Stainless Steel plate just to reinforce the transom, no need to replace "for now". This is a 1993 boat, I dont think its come from fact either :p:p:p but its doing its job. Im not an expert but the new floor is looking good, will paint the Ski and bilge compartment this weekend will keep you posted.

As I said 4 years now and con complaint, just taking care of "her"

:)

Thanks for reply....

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Nice avitar!

krakatoa

Today was a rainy day but dont want to keep looking the boat so I decided to paint the bilge and ski locker area just one coat for today, here are the pictures.

poly-1.jpg

poly-2.jpg

Last edited:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi bud......member when i pm-ed you?....thanks

nuthin like a freshly painted bilge.....lol....i gotta re do mine

krakatoa

Yes, I remember....

Friscoboater

Captain

I am not much of an OB guy but I am not sure the Diamond plate if "kosher". It looks like a patch and should be addressed during the rebuild. Those stringers look like they are foam filled, and not wood at all. I have never seen any like that on the forum.

krakatoa

I am not much of an OB guy but I am not sure the Diamond plate if "kosher". It looks like a patch and should be addressed during the rebuild. Those stringers look like they are foam filled, and not wood at all. I have never seen any like that on the forum.

Hello Frisco!
Yes the stringers are foam filled but have wood too, I dont think this was made "aftermarket" its looks like its from factory, anyway its still strong no weak signals, as for the transom more OB guys put the SS plate for strengthen the transom, If rotten wood there is no "patch" to hold the OB.

krakatoa

Well hello Guys!
A lot of work around and a few pics, I add the first part of the floor "the tiny one" to test the BIAX 1708 and the 3M mar-glass. Add over 3 1x2 wood to the sides of the hull with 5200. The MAR-GLASS is very sticky and difficult to work with but when cured its solid as a rock. That first piece of wood is already glassed in both side and really solid with the hull. Now working in setting up the last details to cover up the upper floor, once glassed its no way to go back so I want to be sure everything is alright, enjoy the pics.

2.jpg

5.jpg

3M Mar Glass, its to sticky better goes with "Peanut Butter" I got something better than PB
12.jpg

13.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Last edited:

krakatoa

Oh yeah, that horrible blue part was repaired last year, already glassed but need a re-touch, once this part completed including the 2nd front panel glassed in will work with the gas tank area.

16.jpg

Last edited:

krakatoa

Deck has been glassed on top with CSM 1.5 and Biax 1708, a few pictures coming soon with comments, laterals plastic on paint shop for fresh gray paint, start looking for carpet too, now its time for details....

krakatoa

Well Guys!

Laterals plastics covers has been painted in gray color, its looks nice, still have a few additional picture but so little time to upload now, I beleive Im in the last stage, just need to scruff the deck to eliminate hight spots and get a smooth area. Finally will apply the last layer of 6.0 oz cloth. To paint in white color, YES!!!! I didnt go to use GelCoat Instead already bought Jack Tar Polyurethane Yacht Deck Enamel 450-16. Hope to upload all pics this weeks.

krakatoa

Ok, back on track again, two pictures of the biax 1708 glassing, again, im not an expert but keep on going on this project. The floors already drilled for A & B Foam.

biax1.jpg

biax2.jpg

First glass

glass.jpg

2ND hand of paint, Jack Tar Polyurethane, then set it back side covers, already painted in silver. Just testing the blue and white upholstery, it will go new too.
paint1.jpg

paint2.jpg

Last edited:

krakatoa

A few additional pictures, like my fortress anchors? :) :)
defensas.jpg

Still need new carpet and uphols..... The blue and white sides will go just Carbon Fiber white, just like the vinyl at the rear speakers.

side1.jpg

back.jpg

Last edited: