1983 Bayliner Capri - need a little help if possible. Power problems and hydraulics

robbie0517

Recruit
Hello,

I'm new here so if I am not posting properly I apologize.

I recently purchased a 1983 Bayliner 1950 Model with a Volvo Penta AQ125A motor.

It ran, so I was happy but just a few problems if anyone has suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

When I got to the lake the engine lowered just fine. I raised the engine to pull up to the lake edge and it would not lower. I had to manually lower myself using my hands. I don't even here any noise when I press the down toggle to lower. It rises fine but it won't lower.

Also, I took a GPS with me because the speedometer and tachometer do not work and at full throttle, I was cruising on smooth water about 27 mph. First, not sure if this is normal for a 170 engine or if it should go faster. About 5-10 seconds into crusing at that speed, it quickly seems to lose power and drag a bit and drops 10 miles per hour. I couldn't imagine pulling a tube as such with such low power. Even the inital power doesn't seem quite up to par.

Those are the major issues... there are a few other things I'm sure I can work out myself.

If anyone can provide help and guidance I would be very much grateful.

Thanks!

~Robbie

captmello

Captain
Re: 1983 Bayliner Capri - need a little help if possible. Power problems and hydrauli

welcome to iboats!

Your tilt issue could be a relay or perhaps the trim limit switch is sticking. both are located in the relay box on top of the tilt assembly. Btw, it is not hydraulic, but a simple electrical mechanical lift for pulling the boat out of the water or running at idle speed in shallow water. It is not intended for power trim use.

RE: the running issues, it sounds like a full tune up and some new gas are in order. I wouldn't expect much over 30mph with that setup. It's only rated at 117 hp.

Good luck!:)

go to this website and type in aq125a in the 'Engine type' box. You can download some info.

http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopenta/global/en-gb/marine_leisure_engines/parts_service/publication_search/pages/publication_search.aspx

Also, here is a link to download a manual for your engine and outdrive, thanks to Don S!

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=2360521#post2360521