1964 Evinrude Big Twin starting problems

sterlingstein

Recruit
I have a 1964 evinrude big twin 40 hp motor which will not start.
when I bought it it was seized up - i pulled head and freed pistons up . and replaced head gasket. motor compression now is 100psi. on both cylinders.
I rebuilt carberator and now am trying to start it. I can put a little gas in the spark plug holes and it will fire and run maybe 2-3 seconds ( its like its not getting gas) any ideas? I have gas to the carberator if i pull the plug in the botom of the bowl there is plenty of gas there.
thank you
best regards
dwight

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: 1964 Evinrude Big Twin starting problems

Try spraying premix (50:1) gas/oil with a squirt bottle into the carb throat while cranking and see if it runs that way.
You are eventually going to have to check the spark on both cylinders using a spark tester to eliminate that as a problem, but it will start on 1 cylinder.
If it runs with the premix spray from the carb side, and there is gas in the fuel bowl, then there is still something clogged/wrong with the carb. Easily fixed, but sometime it is a bear to get all of the passages cleaned on on a motor that has be sitting for awhile.

66evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1964 Evinrude Big Twin starting problems

is your fuel pump working? is your fuel lines good? and what about your inline sqeeze pump