Squalling coming from my motor ????

burnie

Seaman Apprentice
I recently replaced my head gasket, and all gaskets involved. Did it by the manual. I replaced the gaskets because I had water in my oil. The reason for the water in the oil was not due to the head gasket, but rather a bad gasket on my exhast riser (if that is what it is called). Any way, the water in the oil issue was solved. but now, when i start the engine, sometimes it makes a squalling sound but goes away. Sounds like a bad bearing. Any advice?

55evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Squalling coming from my motor ????

The water could of done some damage to the bearings but i doubt it. Might be your belt making noise

Nathan

burnie

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Nathan. I checked the belts and they are fine. When the sound occurs, none of the belts appear to be slipping.

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If it only does right after start up, suspect the alternator belt or associated pulleys.

scrit9mm

Chief Petty Officer

it could be a pully. My circulator pump went bad so it made a screeching noise occasionally. If there is any play in the pully that could be your problem.

John2037

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i did the very same repair and I have the same noise - I am pretty sure it is a main (it's not a belt squeel more of a metal to metal sound, and only when the motor is warm and just for a few seconds....) but I sure hope 55evinrude is right! I have plans on r&r'ing the pump, if it helps I'll happily post back.

burnie

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks everyone. My next chance Ill check all belts again.

John, I would appreciate that.

John2037

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Okay, checked out the circulation pump - the weep hole had a slight sign of a leak, not really much there and it spun fine by hand so I didnt expect this to help.... it did! No more awful noise at startup! Wouldn't 100% guarentee this is your problem but $100 part vs. replacing main bearings and having the crank turned sure has me happy.

burnie

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks John2037. I have not had a chance to look into it yet, but ill be sure to check. I appreciate the reply.

John2037

Petty Officer 3rd Class

well although changing the water pump did fix the startup metal to metal squeeling noise it was not a fix all solution.... there is a LOT of metal in my oil, I guess if the water pump fixes you just keep an eye on the oil condition.

burnie.

Recruit

I just got a chance to check things out. Had to reset my rockerarms to get the engine running right. She is now runningn perfect. When I first started her, i head the squalling, I looked at the belts and they were jumping because the water pump was not turning. before i had a chance to turn her off, the belts started spinning and the water put was turning. I let her idle for a while, which went fine. I turned her off and back on, no squallinng. did this several times with no issues. I let the boat run for about 30 min with no problem. Fires right up with no problems and no squalling.

Now my concern is why the water pump was stuck at first. Here is a little back story. First of last summer I took the boat out after dewinterizing. Ran the boat a bit and threw the impeller on the raw water pump. Out on the lake I pulled off the hoses and pulled the parts from the impeller. Hooked it back up and idled in and trailered her. The next day i put a new impeller in and ran it a bit, no problem other than having water in the oil. I took her home, drained the oil, fogged the cylinders and let her set until about a month ago. Last month checked the head, no problem. the problem was in teh exhaust riser gasket. Water was running back into my manifold. All of those issues are fixed. Should I worry that my water pump is going out?

burp

Petty Officer 1st Class

" I looked at the belts and they were jumping because the water pump was not turning. Should I worry that my water pump is going out? "

If your water circulation pump has siezed once....what makes you think that it won't happen again? Why risk ruining a good day out on the water or possibly damaging the engine due to an engine overheat condition........

burnie.

Recruit

I feel stupid. I rechecked the belts and I had a loose belt. All is well.:D