New 3 gallon gas tank Vent???

narrowfarm

Seaman Apprentice
Hello i bought a new 3 gallon plastic fuel tank from West Marine. Everything on the tank is plastic. My tank builds up pressure in it from just sitting around in the sun.I unscrew the vent cap and no air comes out.I than loosen the main cap and the air comes out. I went and got another new cap and the same thing is happening, can not release the built up of air pressure. Any Ideas???? thanks john

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Re: New 3 gallon gas tank Vent???

New tanks are no longer allowed to vent due to EPA regulations. The "vent" is a one-way valve only.

I have heard that creative use of a drill bit can restore the cap on such a tank to proper functionality.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Don't quote me on this, but I think it is by design. There are some new regulations now in place for gas cans and fuel lines. It could be that the new tank will not vent pressure and fumes out, but will let air in with some sort of valving arrangement.

narrowfarm

Seaman Apprentice

Hello i bought a new 3 gallon plastic fuel tank from West Marine. Everything on the tank is plastic. My tank builds up pressure in it from just sitting around in the sun.I unscrew the vent cap and no air comes out.I than loosen the main cap and the air comes out. I went and got another new cap and the same thing is happening, can not release the built up of air pressure. Any Ideas???? thanks john

My engine is an Evinrude 7.5hp. The motor runs good for a few minutes than shuts off. I loosen the cap on the fuel tank than it runs good. It seems like its building up a vacuum in the plastic 3 gallon fuel tank and wont let the gas flow.

foodfisher

Captain

Your assumptions are correct. IMHO. The cap vent is faulty. Leave the cap loosely attached. Just so it doesn't spill in rough water or rough transit.

narrowfarm

Seaman Apprentice

New tanks are no longer allowed to vent due to EPA regulations. The "vent" is a one-way valve only.

I have heard that creative use of a drill bit can restore the cap on such a tank to proper functionality.

I have two brand new plastic gas caps and i tried the drill bit on one of the caps and it now vents like it should so i did the other new cap too. Just didnt make sense to me. My engine would always quit because there seem to be a vacuum that was created in the plastic fuel tank. The setup was a brand new plastic gas tank.....thanks john