water intake

cruzincarl

Cadet
I have a few questions I seek answers too i have omc 175 inboard and the omc stern drive, does the water get brought in to motor through bottom of stern drive? If not where does it enter and exit?
Also on inserted imagine i have a port like that on back of motor on both intakes, can someone tell me what they are for and if a hose should be connecting them?
Thanks2012-04-07_12-26-10_410.jpg

SpitAndDirt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: water intake

Since your motor is blue, I'm assuming it's like pre-1985 but that's just my guess. In any case, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, water is drawn up through holes located in the lower gear case in front of the prop. You have an impeller inside the upper gear case whose job is to get lake water into the motor. The water pump on the front of the motor then circulates that water around the motor. The water circuilated through the engine just like any car engine, but all the water eventually exits through the exhaust "logs" in order to keep temps down under the engine cover and then sprayed out with the hot exhaust gases. The water that travels with the exhaust gases keeps the rubber connectors from melting and, in addition, keeps the exhaust pipes and connecting apparatus at a reasonable temperature. The exhaust and water then are directed back down through the outdrive and out through the center of the prop. Again, I'm not completely sure if this fits 100% true for you as I'm taking my experience from my OMC. My OMC may be a 1992 but it's still a few years newer than yours.

This is the reason people buy those funky suction cup looking things to feed garden hose water to the lower unit when they run it on the trailer. If you don't have water readily available to the rear uptake impeller, you'll most likely end up melting the rubber it's made out of because the water isn't there to lubricate it. I think even the service manual even says it, but you shouldn't ever run the boat without some sort of water hooked up to it. Not even for 30 seconds.

As for your open holes, again taking from my setup, those should be drain holes that need to be capped during normal operation. And are you sure your not meaning exhaust and not intake? They look like they are on the outside of the motor. They are opened up during winterization in order to drain water from the exhaust logs so as not to have water freeze inside them and crack. Ask me how I know this.......:facepalm:

Looks like someone did you a favor when then uncapped them. It meant that if this engine sat for awhile, no water ever collected and froze during the winter months. Of course some hornets or mud-daubers may have made a nest in there too.....

I hope a picture that I'm uploading illustrates this.

The area between the Red Arrows shows where the water exits from the exhaust manifolds and mixes with the hot exhaust stream. The Red Circle shows where my exhaust manifold cracked because I did not open my outlets to let residual water out. Now I'm having to buy new exhaust manifolds for $600! The Green Circle shows the outlet you are talking about, though my still has it's rubber cap on it. The Green Arrow shows where water enters the cooling system. This cylinder thingy is a heat exchanger. Water from the uptake impeller flows through this device and power steering fluid is pumped through it also. The cold water cools the power steering fluid. There are separate chambers in that device, water and power steering fluid don't actually mix. Hope this helps answer your question. -Spit ;)

Explain.jpg

cruzincarl

Cadet

Yes sorry I meant exhaust and not intake and its a 1977 omc. I am trying to figure out where water is brought in at and exited because having motor issues and we are working on it and trying to get water ran through it. I took few pics im gonna upload they are of a pipe in the housing right above propeller is this where it goes in?2012-04-08_11-41-36_331[1].jpg2012-04-08_11-41-51_241[1].jpg

cruzincarl

Cadet

Someone please tell me from pictures i posted in last reply if thats where the water goes in at in that tube? and where does it come out while boat is in water running??

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer

yes, water is brought up through that tube. water comes out with the exhaust. You really need to get a manual before you start doing any major work on that.

cruzincarl

Cadet

I have a manual for it I just wanted to double check, also with hose hooked up to that tube and water on cant i un hook hose on engine to see if water pump is working?
Thanks

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer

I dont think it is meant to have a garden hose hooked up to it at that pick up tube.

there is a flush kit that you can get at any auto parts store, basically a T that you install on the hose that runs from the outdrive to the front of the engine, it probably runs on the starboard side of you engine.

install that T there and you will be able to run it with a garden hose.

http://www.allproducts.com/tool/three-in-one/17-radiator_flush_kit-l.jpg

here is the kit I am talking about. and there is also a thread on here discussing this.

southkogs

Staff member

I dont think it is meant to have a garden hose hooked up to it at that pick up tube.

It's not. If it were a 400 or 800 you can get muffs on it, but not this one.

You can go with the connector REDRIG posted, but also look at the side of your stern drive and see if you have the hose hook up on it. Should look like this:
Water_Hookup.jpg

OMC Stringers don't draw water up through the impeller properly unless submerged (as I understand it). If you run water through the connection REDRIG posted, or have the type in the picture - when you hook the hose up, water will run to both the impeller and up into the engine.

You can also just dunk the stern drive into a deep tub if you have one big enough.

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer

Hey, that pic looks strangely familiar.............. :D

If you don't have the fitting on the pivot cap it's easier to just get the 't' and put it on the hose that comes from the intermediate housing to the t-stat housing. You can start by just getting a barrell full of water to stick the leg into to test the impeller. Make sure the water level is at le3ast half way up the leg as the impeller can't lift very much. Take the hose off at the t-stat housing and see if you are getting a good flow of water from the hose. If you do, I would start by pulling the t-stat cover and see if it is plugged up and then try opening the drain cocks on the manifolds and see if you have a good flow of water there. You may have to clear the drain cocks with a piece of wire first as they plug up with bits of rust/gunk easily.

southkogs

Staff member

Hey, that pic looks strangely familiar.............. :D

.... 'cuz I stole it from you and I'm too lazy to crawl under the swim deck to get a shot of mine :D Good to see you - haven't run across you in a while.

OP: NW Redneck is one of the resident OMC geniuses.

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer

No problemo! Anything to help out a fellow OMC guy. :D I changed jobs back in september and as my father-in-law would say, I've been 'up to my @ss in alligators" so I haven't been around much. And I'm far from a genious! By necessity I do know a thing or two about mid 70's 175 stringers though. :D

cruzincarl

Cadet

I will either go with the T or the hook up if i have it. Im new to boats so I am learning, I appreciate all the help. But if I hook it up like you guys are saying how will I still be able to know if the water pump in the stern drive is working this way?

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

I will either go with the T or the hook up if i have it. Im new to boats so I am learning, I appreciate all the help. But if I hook it up like you guys are saying how will I still be able to know if the water pump in the stern drive is working this way?

you won't
the only way to really test that impeller is in a lake.

however, if you are new to the boat and don't know the age of the impeller first hand, change it.

when you change it, you will recoat the splines of the w/p shaft with grease, and that is very important that you know there is a good coating of grease in there.

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer

You won't. That's why I recomended using a barell for this test. Once you know your impeller is ok then you can use a hose for the rest of your testing/flushing.

cruzincarl

Cadet

You won't. That's why I recomended using a barell for this test. Once you know your impeller is ok then you can use a hose for the rest of your testing/flushing.

Alright a barrel it is, can you point me in right direction to find a impeller?