20hp Sea King VWB-27420 Won't Start

tmfeaster

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I recently purchased a 20hp Sea King VWB-27420 (WARD) outboard for $50. It had been stored in a garage for about 17 years.

1. I replaced all fuel lines

Tried starting, no luck... not even a hint.

2. I found that the plugs were wrong so I replaced them and gapped them correctly.
3. Pulled flywheel (key is OK) and cleaned points and gapped correctly

It tries to start when I spray some starter fluid in the carb but that is about it. I get gas on the plugs and I am getting spark. Throttle linkage is fine, clutch is fine.

The entire engine looks very clean, even the carb. The jet works fine on the carb and the carb was clean but I took it apart and replaced the gaskets.

I have 150 compression in both cylinders

Still no luck on getting it started.

The only thing that bothers me is after trying to start it a few times I noticed gas coming from he exhaust down by the prop.

Any ideas? I would greatly appreciate some help!

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 20hp Sea King VWB-27420 Won't Start

Sounds like fuel is getting from the tank to the carb, but the carb's float needle isn't shutting off fuel flow once the bowl is full. I wouldn't know a Sea King if it was dropped on me from the roof, but I'd be lookin' at that carb again, I think.

tmfeaster

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the reply. The float looks like a toilet bowl lid and is hinged in the bowl. Everything in the carb is clean, I cant see any problems.
I checked spark again and found one wasn't firing so I checked the points again and I didn't tighten them down good enough. I fixed the gaps on the points again and tried it. Out of about 25 attempts it started once and died and tried starting about 10 times...all without starter fluid.

I noticed gas is still coming from the exhaust. The fuel line from the tank and bulb go into a trial angle unit mounted on the block and then has a hose leading from it to the bottom of the carb.

Not sure what to do but help is appreciated!

woodsailboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had the same thing going on with my 7.5 gamefisher and it was the fuel pump element, took me a month to figure it out. Mrcrabs told me what it was. If you dont know what the fuel pump element is, its the little red or orange piece of rubber with a slit in it on the motor end of the carb ( you have to remove the carb to see it). GOOD LUCK

jdx6i

Seaman Apprentice

is ur floats cork???? i have a 58 evin and had same prob.. either way if u have gas coming out the lower end its is your floats im almost 100% on that u r flooding out.. tilt the motor back for about 5 minutes then dont prime just try to start.. if it starts then dies pump the ball two time and start again that should work

tmfeaster

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The float is like hollow styrofoam feeling. I did check to see if it had cracks or a hole in it and never thought to check the float pin underneath, don't even recall seeing one.

If I let it set it will start and die but when I Prime the bulb it won't stay tight long, then gas leaks from the exhaust. I need to check the float and floater pin again. Thanks for your help and keep it coming!

tmfeaster

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Took the carb apart again and filled the bowl with water. The floater floated and stayed afloat. If I push the floater down water leaked out of the fuel inlet and if i let it float water stopped leaking from the fuel inlet. To me this means the floater and floater pin are working properly, anyone agree or disagree?

I guess I need to take the fuel element/fuel pump off and check it. I originally started this thread under Chrysler because everything I read said it was a chrysler and it even looks identical to other chryslers I have seen around it's era.

Thanks again for all the help and hopefully continued help!

tmfeaster

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Problem found! Took off the triangle peice to discover it was the fuel filter and it had a diaphram in it which had ripped open.

I made a replica of the diaphram out of double folded duct tape, assembled it all back together and it worked perfect! Now I just need to find the actual replacement diaphram so I can get it on the lake!

jdx6i

Seaman Apprentice

great glad ur good to go.. well almost ;)

tmfeaster

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Anyone know where the water coolant exit is on this thing? I can't find it anywhere!

tmfeaster

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Does anyone know where the water coolant exit is? I can't find it anywhere! If I could also get help on finding a replacement impeller and how to install I would greatly appreciate it!