Starcraft Starchief rebuild

Snapset

Recruit
First, an introduction. I am an Electrician/Process Control Instructor by trade. I live in western Oregon, and for the last 40 years or so, I have loved to fish.

My boat building experience is limited to a cedar strip canoe I built and a 1979 Apollo with volvo Penta I/O restore. The Apollo turned out to be a good boat, but not quite as big as I needed it to be for ocean excursions. So I sold it. My fishing boat for a long time has been a big glass drift boat with a 10 hp kicker. It does about 75% of the things I would like it to do.

In the last year , I got my first grandchild, and another is on the way, so I wanted a boat that would give the Mothers and kids in my life a comfortable place to get out of the weather.
I like the combination of economy-of-purchase/economy-of-use the Starcraft rebuilders offer, so for the last six months I have been shopping and last week I found one.

Ultimately, I want to end up with a fully customized 22' Islander. Until I have that one ready, I will start practice on this one, fish it for a couple years and pass it on to someone who needs a fishing boat.

What I got was this:

2012-04-06 19.41.21.jpg2012-04-06 19.42.14.jpg2012-04-06 19.42.52.jpg2012-04-06 19.43.35.jpg2012-04-06 19.53.01.jpg

I appreciate all those who have documented their projects here on Iboats, I have learned a lot and I hope to reciprocate.

I plan to replace all of the wood aft of and including the bulkhead, making the most efficient possible use of the available space. The forward seat bases will be tackle storage. Aft jump seats will fold up to make room for netting when not in use.

Bow hatch cover will be replaced with wood. Canvas top will be replaced. Complete rewire with batteries paced as far forward as is safe. LED lights under rails and covers, I really love the look I have seen in some of your boats.

I will also install Downrigger mounts, but prior to that, I want to beef up the rails. I am tempted to glue up a figured rail piece for that, but my time budget before fishing season will determine the fruition of that goal. I love the brightwork, but I will have to try not to get carried away when what I am really after is an efficient utility/fishing boat.

Plenty to do, but first order of business is determining engine condition. (120 hp Mercruiser).

I probably won't strip the hull until next winter, and if I find any heretofore undiscovered leaks this summer, I will take care of them along with a few unintentional concavities that I will fair out some time between Steelhead and Halibut.

She has been given the name "Rush-No-More", which I have no intention of changing. The previous owner obviously loved this boat, and when it is done, I hope he approves.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starcraft Starchief rebuild

Howdy snap and welcome to the iboats dry dock:) You have a great platform to build from man, my favorite is the athletic tape holding the console together. You keeping that?:rolleyes:

Glad you are here and part of the Starcraft brohood.

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Nice project and welcome. Looking forward to following your progress.

Snapset

Recruit

Last couple weeks, I have been busier than I expected to be (story of my life). I have only been able to devote about 25% of my "discretionary" time to the boat so I haven't made as much progress as I would hope.

What I have accomplished:
I have the floor boards cut, pre-drilled, and sealed. I went with 1/2" ACX Plugged and sanded as I will be covering them with textured Vinyl. I will rivet them in tomorrow. I need to fill gaps in the old foam. As I won't be stripping the hull until this Fall, I am leaving most of the old foam in place.

I have cut and partialy assembled the seat bases. Found a bunch of 1-3/8" x 1-3/8" x 40 Ipe for trim work and cabinet joinery. @ $.50/stick I bought a bunch. The bases are sized to fit Plano 9"X14" plastic tackle trays. Rather than swinging doors to access the trays, I am thinking of sliding shutters made of 1/4" Starboard. I need to make sure this will work before I finish the assembly.

Still don't have seats purchased yet. Thinking of swivel seats because I will be standing when I am driving, and with a swivel, a rider can sit if they like while I stand. I will post pictures of some of the woodwork.

I have assembled the console, and tomorrow it is time to cut holes for the controls, instruments and switches.

I found brand new side windows in the cabin, but the top is rotten beyond repair. The top shop said they could make a new one for 400$, but couldn't guarantee the side windows would zip up.

Engine: There is water in the oil. Probably from the weather exposure. After installing the floorboards, I will need to free up the engine, run it and do wet/dry compression checks to determine viability. I am not hopeful, but I kind of expected a complete overhaul when I bought it. If the engine passes muster though, I would prefer to do the overhaul over the winter.

Next week:
Gotta find a kicker bracket.
Gotta Clean and pressure test the old fuel tanks. Next year, I may try the in-floor fuel tank I have seen on other rebuilds.
Gotta mark wires and make a wiring list
-Test Ignition switch
Test solenoid, starter, alternator, order new water pump impellor
Test tilt trim pump
Order new glands
Test steering
Scrub, Scrub, Scrub

Biggest dilemma: A functional 22' Islander I would prefer showed up on CL this week, and if I didn't have this boat in my driveway, I would have bought the other one already. Gotta stay focused on the task at hand.

Bondo

Staff member

Bow hatch cover will be replaced with wood. Canvas top will be replaced. Complete rewire with batteries paced as far forward as is safe. LED lights under rails and covers, I really love the look I have seen in some of your boats.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Yer aluminum hatch looks Fine,... Donno why ya wanta change that,....

The batteries prefer the softer ride from bein' as Aft as possible....
I need to fill gaps in the old foam.

No ya don't,... That old foam don't hold water, so leave it be....
Leavin' it loose will allow it to Drain...

Snapset

Recruit

Thanks for the response Bondo. That is what I was hoping for.

I took your advice and just removed the crumbled foam and left the rest in and riveted down the deck.

The problem with the hatch cover is it is siliconed shut and I don't think I can get it open without damaging it. The fact that it is siliconed makes me thing it was leaking and the PO didn't need the forward access so he sealed it. If I can make the old hatch work, I may not replace it. But I need it to open regardless for anchoring and fishing.

Good point on the battery. I'll see how she rides before I try to do any major weight redistribution.

Brenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

im still a bystander as i havent bought a boat yet.when i do it will be a starcraft so im excited for you that youre on your way with one.

Snapset

Recruit

I Was holding off on the compression test until I had the console wired. Well I finished rewiring the console last night, so I did the compresion test. First cylinder, 135. Great. Off to a good start.
The rest of the cylinders not so great. 50, 75,75. Wet test was 135, 60, 95, 80. Considering my plans for considerable open ocean time, the only option I see is complete replacement.

If anyone has suggestions for the best place to get a crate motor, I'm all ears.