What is the freaquency of SS prop theft?

Star

Chief Petty Officer
How many props have you had stolen, what part of the country did it happen? Is there anything that will slow em down?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: What is the freaquency of SS prop theft?

How many props have you had stolen, what part of the country did it happen? Is there anything that will slow em down?

Ayuh,.... If anything, I'd think it's a localized problem....

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Is there anything that will slow em down?

i have found that a really big mean dog helps.

as bondo mentioned....its usually a bunch of crack victims looking for money for a fix.

tpenfield

Staff member

OK, what happened? If you have a desirable prop . . .like a Mercury Revolution 4 . . . then it will probably disappear before dark.

A lot depends of where your boat is stored, etc. Sometimes the theifs don't just stop at the prop . . . they take what it is attached to as well. :eek:

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A Glock 9mm does a good job.

NYBo

Admiral

Is there anything that will slow em down?
Sure! Remove the prop and store it indoors. A determined thief can bypass almost any lock.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

a prop lock slows them down, and only keeps honest people honest.

other than that, I would concur with removing the prop and storing it indoors.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

This is an excuse a lot of people use for why they are too cheap to buy a good prop. Sure, some stainless props are stolen but certainly not at the alarming rate some would like you to think.

Out of the 250 some odd guys in our fishing club, 90% of them run SS props. Not one of them has had one stolen in the past 10 years. I run a $600 offshore prop on my boat and don't think twice about it. We have more issues with fishing tackle thief than anything else

Star

Chief Petty Officer

Thank you for your response to my question. I am very glad to hear that it isn't too bad out there. I agree that most lock systems can be bypassed with batery powered cutoff tools in a hurry. Happy Boating !!!!