Freshwater cooling a mercruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

ray9842

Cadet
I have a 2003 Maxum 27' with a Mercruiser I/O. I have used it in New England for 2 years and am going to be transporting it to Southwest Florida in the fall. I've been told the water in Fl is harder on the engine cooling system than NE water. The boat has a flush system installed. What are the pros & cons of having a closed fresh water cooling system installed? Approximately what should I expect to pay for a job like that? Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks
Ray C.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Freshwater cooling a mercruiser

Who told you that FL water is harder than NE water ???

Assuming it has been has been doing the salt water thing, a closed system may not do it much good.

I know the parts alone for a FWC kit is like $1000 . . . then the boat yard Skippy has to put it in . . . so maybe another $1000 to install it.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I remember reading on this forum from one of the experts that once a raw water cooled engine that has been running in salt water for a certain period of time, there's already so much crud that's built up it's actually not a good idea to add a fresh water system. I would think being a 2003 and with at least 2 years in salt water you have already exceeded the window. One of those guys will probably be along shortly and validate or not what I'm remembering and give a better mechanical reason for not adding fwc at this point.
Mark

Bondo

Staff member

I have a 2003 Maxum 27' with a Mercruiser I/O. I have used it in New England for 2 years and am going to be transporting it to Southwest Florida in the fall. I've been told the water in Fl is harder on the engine cooling system than NE water. The boat has a flush system installed. What are the pros & cons of having a closed fresh water cooling system installed? Approximately what should I expect to pay for a job like that? Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks
Ray C.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Saltwater is Saltwater,...
Fla. is just warmer water, 'n possibly more marine life, or not....

As noted, yer motor's been in the brine for Way to long,...
Rethink this Idea, the next time yer doin' a motor rebuild/ replacement...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I remember reading on this forum from one of the experts that once a raw water cooled engine that has been running in salt water for a certain period of time, there's already so much crud that's built up it's actually not a good idea to add a fresh water system. I would think being a 2003 and with at least 2 years in salt water you have already exceeded the window. One of those guys will probably be along shortly and validate or not what I'm remembering and give a better mechanical reason for not adding fwc at this point.
Mark

Correct on this point. The 'window' is less than very small... Once the salt's been in the block, that's it.... The salt crystals get into the iron structure, almost impossible to flush out, and once they are there, fresh water cooling for corrosion protection is virtually useless...

Chris..............

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

the issue with salt water in the gulf, is that over 135 degrees, the salt starts coming out of solution. with water temperatures of 95 degrees by the time it leaves the engine, the salt is precipitating and acting like a honing rouge.

however like most people have stated, you're already running in salt water, adding FWC at this point wont be helping much.

Tmakaro

Seaman

the issue with salt water in the gulf, is that over 135 degrees, the salt starts coming out of solution. with water temperatures of 95 degrees by the time it leaves the engine, the salt is precipitating and acting like a honing rouge.

however like most people have stated, you're already running in salt water, adding FWC at this point wont be helping much.

Interesting, I just ordered a fwc today. My boat has a 2002 mercruiser 3.0 liter inboard with 400 hours and has always been flushed with salt away.

I figured that it would At least slow the rusting down because the coolant is also rust inhibiting. Wouldn't it be better than nothing?

achris

...Wouldn't it be better than nothing?

No, it will cause more problems than it will solve. The corrosion process with the salt has started, despite your 'salt away' efforts.. If you then put a FWC system on, the corrosion process will now be concentrated, and the rusty flack will stay in the engine and not be flushed away....

Good luck, and you're going to have to clean out the heat exchanger at least twice a year to avoid it getting clogged up....

Chris.....

Tmakaro

Seaman

No, it will cause more problems than it will solve. The corrosion process with the salt has started, despite your 'salt away' efforts.. If you then put a FWC system on, the corrosion process will now be concentrated, and the rusty flack will stay in the engine and not be flushed away....

Good luck, and you're going to have to clean out the heat exchanger at least twice a year to avoid it getting clogged up....

Chris.....

what do you mean by the corrosion process will now be concentrated? I would have thought the rust inhibitor in the coolant would dramatically slow the rusting process? I can see I would have to keep the exchanger clean. Should I continue to run it with raw cooling instead. How many years can I continue like this?

achris

what do you mean by the corrosion process will now be concentrated? I would have thought the rust inhibitor in the coolant would dramatically slow the rusting process? I can see I would have to keep the exchanger clean. Should I continue to run it with raw cooling instead. How many years can I continue like this?

Corrosion caused by salt is not rust... That's why rust inhibitor won't work. I would recommend you cancel the FWC order and just keep running on raw water cooling. Expected life from a regularly flushed 3.0L block is 20 years+.... and I have seen many over 30 years old, still going strong...

HTH,

Chris....

torcano

Chief Petty Officer

I just bought a boat in which the previous owner installed a fresh water flush system that he states he used religiously after each time he used the boat. He purchased the boat after 4 years of use in salt water without a flush. I just have changed the manifolds and risers. Is the concurrence here that continued use of this freshwater flush would be a waste of time?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I just bought a boat in which the previous owner installed a fresh water flush system that he states he used religiously after each time he used the boat. He purchased the boat after 4 years of use in salt water without a flush. I just have changed the manifolds and risers. Is the concurrence here that continued use of this freshwater flush would be a waste of time?

Torcano, this question should be a new thread, however freshwater flushes are never a waste of time.

achris

A fresh water flush system is NOT a fresh water cooling system...

Status
Not open for further replies.