1999 Merc 250hp EFI Bluewater, good engine?

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Hey guys, I am looking at a boat with the above motor on it, and I don't know much about this particular motor or Merc's at all for that matter. I plan on reading as much as I can here on iboats, but wondered if any experts here can give me some pros and/or cons of this engine. It has about 500hrs on it.

I have been an OMC guy for 25 years, pretty much because my father always had them and every boat I ever bought just seemed to have an OMC on it so I learned everything I could about them over the years. Don't know a whole lot about Merc's and am kind of weary about even entertaining the thought of one but would be excited to learn as much as I could about them. There are so many of them around so I always knew at some point I'd cross paths with one, but I'm still nervous as they don't seem to have the reputation of quality that OMC or Yami does at least not in my area.

I assume that the Merc EFI's are just 2 strokes with a couple of injectors in place of the carbs, correct? They are not DI motors like the Optimax, correct?

Just really looking to see if these are considered good strong engines before I move forward with looking at this boat. Also wanted to find out what the Bluewater series consists of, is it just some stainless parts added to hold up better in saltwater? I figure if the guy has been running it since '99 and it's got 500hrs it should be in pretty decent shape, as in it hasn't had any major issues thus far, but I guess it doesn't really mean much.

Thanks.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1999 Merc 250hp EFI Bluewater, good engine?

That's awesome Don S, thanks!! I will read through all of this, very cool.

But I also wanted to see what people in the know about Merc's think if these EFI engines. I have heard they are great engines and are workhorses, very simple and easy to work on, just thirsty.

Just wanted to see the general consesus on these EFI's.

Thanks.

Philster

Captain
Re: 1999 Merc 250hp EFI Bluewater, good engine?

I have mental notes on 'don't buy years' for certain outboards, and that model/year isn't jumping out from any mental notes.

The early Direct Injection years had issues, and even the lower unit was one. I believe you have a good workhorse there. EFI, but two-strokes: Sort of a happy reliability/efficiency/durability convergence in motors. Sometimes more complexity for a little more efficiency comes with expense parts and maintenance (that later motors have). So, don't sweat it. EFI is fuel injection 101. Pretty basic advancement in starting, tune and efficiency, but not so much that it makes for too many financial headaches.

Thirst is relative. They are nowhere near as efficient as later designs.