I'm dizzy, nauseated, and my hand hurts!

waterinthefuel

Commander
All because of this damn thing!!!

IMG_8805.jpg

I was picking up sticks so I could mow my yard and occasionally I'll pick up a stick and it has a short point that pokes me in the hand and as soon as I let go the pain goes away. Well, this time I picked up the stick, thought it hurt quite a bit and when I put the stick down, nothing changed. The pain got worse and worse, then I saw little bumps. I went to check out the driveway where I was putting the sticks and a big old buck moth caterpillar was right next to the branch. I never saw it on the stick when I went to pick it up.

Man, it sucks. I now have a headache, my hand hurts and I'm woozy. Not fun. Yuk. :(

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: I'm dizzy, nausiated, and my hand hurts!

What the devil kind of caterpillars you got down there?

waterinthefuel

Commander

It's known as a buck moth caterpillar. Unfortunately they are attracted to oak trees, of which I just happen to have some of the largest in the entire area in my yard.

FlaCowboy

Ensign

I would drown him on the end of a hook for biting me :eek:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

make sure you get all the spines out of your hand. there is a whole bunch of nasty caterpillars that have poisonous stings like that one.

I dont know of any meds or home remedies that help with the itching, burning, and nausea.

salty87

Commander

those things are all sorts of colors inside too. i remember riding my bike around Baton Rouge as a kid. caterpillars all over the street....ride your bike down one right and it's like stepping on a ketchup packet.....gross!!

spray your hand with wd40...works great for fire ants at least.

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

UGH! Makes me glad that I pretty much live in the desert. Though we do have some scorpions... and rattlesnakes.
At least the rattlers give you some warning!

An antihistamine -- Benadryl or Chlor-Trimeton, may help relieve itching, redness, and swelling.

Spray local anesthetic containing benzocaine, such as Solarcaine

Apply an ice pack for 15 to 20 minutes once an hour for the first 6 hours. Keep a cool, wet cloth on the sting for up to 6 hours.

My Grandpa used to swaller a couple a shot o' Jim Beam.

foodfisher

Captain

Can't help with the pain, but I can help with the vengence. When one is spied inching it's way along a solid surface, take a pencil and starting with the head , roll the pencil (held snuggly against the solid surface) toward the aft end. There will come a moment of ""YES"" before you reach the tail.

Rulost

Seaman

This time of year I won't walk in the yard barefoot because of these things.

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer

bait it up with some needle nose

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Wow that's bad.......... you only have 72 hrs to live once infected............ the signs of immanent death will be all your hair falling out, a sincere desire to have wool clothing on, a desire to consume chocolate rabbits, eat colorful eggs and your toes will fall off!! :eek:

Please post lot's of pictures of how the infection spreads !!! The clock is ticking.............

Oh enjoy your Easter!! :D I bet you will survive this time ;)

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I've been stung by several types of Catapillers over the years and all were highly unpleasant. Most have a long lasting, burning, searing pain worse than bee or wasp stings IMO. The worst i ever experienced though was a Large yellow Hornet Cicada killer? that got me in the palm of my hand. Almost sent me to the ER.........we were on the way there but the benydryl kicked in and I was able to start breathing easyer again. The pillers are bad because you don't see them and they don't warn you w a buzzing sound or flying around letting you know you better back up and leave them alone or else!

halfmoa

Ensign

Fellow Illinoisian here. I didn't realize there were stinging caterpillars either. Not much my area of Illinois to kill you besides the Brown Recluse and occasional Timber rattlesnake. I'm too far north for bears like the Shawnee has and the 'yotes leave us alone. Kinda peaceful here.