is a motor necessary?

I am planning on building a 12' jon boat out of wood and making some modifications to the upper deck which I estimate will increase weight by 30%.
I wouldn't be worried about weight distribution because the weight would be spread evenly however I would like to know if I would need a outboard for it.
If I did need a motor what hp would I need with fuel effecency and no speed demon just to out do the rowing speed by a good deal of speed

shrew

Lieutenant
Re: is a motor necessary?

Do you plan on moving the boat in the water? If so, you could use oars, you could paddle, you could pole if it's shallow enough. What is the total weight capacity of the boat. Add up weight of modifications + gear + people + motor + fuel tank/fuel = ? IS this less than or greater than the total capacity of the boat? You should be able to push that around with a 2HP or 2.5 at rowing speed.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I've seen some home made Jons that resembled a long box just the slightest angle on the bow.
I've seen little aluminum Jons with a kid driving in the middle seat actually plane.
anyway a 2 hp should do fine if your not in a hurry or fighting current.

southkogs

Staff member

How far ya' gonna' go? Across a pond ... anything'll work really. Across the lake ... your arms are gonna' get tired with those oars :D

Seriously, distance will be a player too. Arm endurance vs. fuel capacity vs. battery life. You get the idea...

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Any decent electric trolling motor with about 30-45# of thrust would scoot it along quite well, as long as you aren't putting yourself in jeopardy on a swift river.

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

Just a thought...in my state if you run a boat on electric or gas motor it must be registered. Are you going to do that anyway or what? Might be a hassle if you have to register it, maybe not. A buddy of mine was given a jon boat, no title just a bill of sale. He can use it like it is but the minute he puts any kind of motor on it he has to have paperwork squared away, and from what he told me the DMV makes it tough since he has no title.

southkogs

Staff member

When I was a kid I wasn't allowed to run the outboard. You'd be amazed how far you can go with a set of oars. ;)

I had actually said that in my original post ... but then changed it. Man, I rowed all over our lake. It was a 300 acre lake, so not too huge. But, you could tire your arms out sometimes :p

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

That takes me back to when I was 14-15. My first experience with a boat was at my uncle's camp on the Little Kanawha river. Was not allowed to run the motor he had on his semi v row boat but I was allowed to take it where ever I wanted with oars. That was fun!

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

Agreed but than again I liked a lot of physical things when I was younger. Now that I'm old and fat I love me a good motor lol.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Me too, grew up on a river and took my gramas old Starcraft all over the place rowing, had a canoe too so rowing is an option but as others have a said a nice little 2 horse or a good troller would be at least anice back up, just check local laws, alot of boats don't need to be registered unless they have a non human power source.

Here in Indiana you can row all you want in an unregistered boat but put a troller on it and now it is considered a "power boat"

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

A nice little 9.9 would do well on your boat, keep an eye on Craigslist for one.