Ok, here we go...Looking for a fish finder...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I am in the market for a fish finder to mount in my 12 foot aluminum smoker craft, I really don't want to spend a lot of money, couple of hundred or less, just looking for some recommendations, and experience if possible.

Thanks.

Dp

mxcarne

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Ok, here we go...Looking for a fish finder...

I like everything about my Garmin 100 except for the fact it has no backlight. Cheap, think $100 or less. I remeber my old humminbird had a backlight. both are good imo. If you can get into a Bass Pro, they usually have em all setup and you can play with the menus.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

They are not fish finders -- they are locators. They don't find fish but rather point them out when you stumble over them. Vist any Bass Pro or Cabelas or sporting goods store and have a chat with them. You can actually see what you are investigating.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Silvertip, I was just calling them what I have know them as for the last 50 years! LOL Thanks, I wish I had a bass pro close to me, but no go, I live in a remote area, so I have to ask the questions before I ever get a chance to look at one!

I am in the market for a fish finder to mount in my 12 foot aluminum smoker craft, I really don't want to spend a lot of money, couple of hundred or less, just looking for some recommendations, and experience if possible.

Thanks.

Dp

I have a Lowrance X-4 with the transducer mounted on my trolling motor on the front of my Stinger 160 and it works fine. The transducer can also be mounted on the transom or on a portable mount. They are around $80 at BassPro and you can order them online or by phone.

mrbusdriver

Seaman

I have the Hummingbird Piranha 170 it was $ 100 and it works just great.

mewhite

Cadet

I have a 14ft aluminum Sea Nymph, 25 hp tiller steer with no battery. Any suggestions for a fish locator for this? I like MT Boat guy don't want to spend much, and seem really limited without a battery.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I have a 14ft aluminum Sea Nymph, 25 hp tiller steer with no battery. Any suggestions for a fish locator for this? I like MT Boat guy don't want to spend much, and seem really limited without a battery.

You can buy any locator you wish and power it with a small garden tractor or 7 -9 amp/hr sealed gel cell available almost anywhere.

mewhite

Cadet

Never thought of that, thanks. I'll fess up and admit that I bought a cheap fish finder at harbor freight last year. It had something that floated out in the water attached with about 20 feet of wire. It was recommended to use a fishing pole to keep it from the boat. The darn thing was that when you are in the sound, the current is always moving, and was a huge pain in the rear.

BonairII

Commander

Never thought of that, thanks. I'll fess up and admit that I bought a cheap fish finder at harbor freight last year. It had something that floated out in the water attached with about 20 feet of wire. It was recommended to use a fishing pole to keep it from the boat. The darn thing was that when you are in the sound, the current is always moving, and was a huge pain in the rear.

There are some portable fishfinders out there that come with a carry bag...and the transducer mounts to the transom with a suction cup.