burned right thru hull

fngboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Welll of course it happened. I was grinding on my hull and while trying to get thru the thick factory resin i burned thru the hull. I could see a different color which i know now is gelcoat. it would have been fine if i didnt just have to poke at it and push it thru. I guess i need to learn to patch it sometime anyways. what is the next step in fixing this. oh by the way its right above the bunk on the trailer. Thats a nickel just for size referencenickel sized hole.jpgalso its right in the groove that the deck sat against(may be called a chine or strake?)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: burned right thru hull

ouch.....

oops!

Supreme Mariner

your hull is now toast......

its a write off.

sorry

oops!

Supreme Mariner

lol.....sorry....i couldnt resist.

it happens all the time.

the fix is a standard inside job...

its allready ground out. so the prep is allready done.

add 2 layers of 1.5 csm.....then 3 csm and 1708 in a sandwich fashion.

the gellcoat is done after.

wait....what is your level of knowlage of fiberglassing?

do you need more info or just the layup schedule?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

oops, that was mean....

I think he will need step by step instruction

fngboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

cmon oops why the hate man. If you can cut the back off the boat and make it longer im pretty sure this can be fixed. jeez how many layers of what, how much overlap and what glass. thats all im askin for. (its my frst boat)

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer

Lol. Did you go through to the other side, or not without a blemish? If not it can be fixed. If you did you have to repair the gel coat first and re glass inside.

fngboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lol. Did you go through to the other side, or not without a blemish? If not it can be fixed. If you did you have to repair the gel coat first and re glass inside.
i pushed the gelcoat thru with my finger (while thinking how hard is this stuff anyways)

moreheadnc

Cadet

That was pretty funny, I laughed out loud. I was in the same boat a few years back and seriously thought my boat was trashed when I found that crack.

You'll need a quart of epoxy resin and fiberglass. I'll let the other guys tell you the lay-up but you'll take your fiberglass (in the layers others will surely recommend) and start with cutting a small football shape that will cover your hole by about an inch and keep cutting larger pieces, each a little larger (1/2 inch in every direction). You'll end up with 5 or 6 footballs.

Mix your resin and dap it on your exposed fiberglass. Put down your patch and wet it out, repeat, repeat,...

Structurally your fixed. Others can fill you in on the gelcoat repair, haven't done that....yet

fngboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OOPS i should have known you were just rustling my freathers.:facepalm:

anyhow thats how slow i type...you see the time of the replies there

about the glass...uh im about to start experimenting as soon as soon as i get thru grinding out the hull.

yeah how much overlap over the hole, and do i keep overlapping each layer?
next you said two layers of csm then a csm 1708 sandwich....that means csm, csm, csm, 1708, csm?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

I;m not sure but with the gell coat your supposed to use poly resin right? I could be wrong though..

fngboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks more head? lol thats what i was lookin for . i too was blowin resin boogers

moreheadnc

Cadet

Yes, each layer will be larger than the last. 1.5 csm, then 1.5 csm, 1708, csm, 1708 (alternate direction of stiching on 1708 if you wanna get crazy)

moreheadnc

Cadet

I;m not sure but with the gell coat your supposed to use poly resin right? I could be wrong though..

Thats a good point, I didn't think about polyester gelcoat. Should probably do a thread check on that or just use poly resin. Not real familiar with waxed versus unwaxed when you are covering with gelcoat.

fngboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats a good point, I didn't think about polyester gelcoat. Should probably do a thread check on that or just use poly resin. Not real familiar with waxed versus unwaxed when you are covering with gelcoat.

i will be using poly resin

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer

How big is the hole going through? Might want to jack that side up and put wedges so you can repair. You can clean up the gelcoat with acetone and cover the hole with a good quality scotch tape and then fill the hole with hull colored gelcoat from the inside, about 1 eight to a quarter inch thick. Pull the tape as soon as the gelcoat sets so the tape comes off easier. Once it dries hard you can start fiber-glassing. A little trick I was taught to repair air bubbles under the gelcoat

fngboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well ill be using unwaxed poly resin when i start rebuilding my stringers transom and deck so the gelcoat will adhere to the glass right? does anyone know what color gelcoat i should get to try and match the existing color? its almost like an off white or whatever the color is for a 96 bayliner capri classic

93bayliner1800

Petty Officer 1st Class

I cut my second hole today! The first was just a little slit....but this one is a whopper! lol Luckily it is behind where the ladder bolts up so it will be a good place to practice.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hey buddy....

glad you caught me rusteling your feathers.

ok.......as posted.

use 2 layers of csm.....each the same size....just a little larger than the hole.....about 2 inches larger.

then cut a 1708 the same size as that...and lay it matt side down.
then on top of that .....a csm about one inch bigger....and a same size 1708 the same size as the last csm.
than another csm 2 inches bigger than the last.....with another same size 1708.

you want the csm between the 1708.....(the matt on the 1708 is stitiched on....so it does not work as well as regular matt)

each additional layer is larger than the last so you have more "grab" on the hull.

i would do this all at the same time.....that way .....the resin will form a chemical bond to the repair and the hull....

3 layers of 1708 is the thickness of your hull.

as far as the gellcoat .....after you get done re stringing the boat.....and a new deck and all your interior hull work...
then we can worry about the gellcoat.

doing gellcoat is very simelar as doing regular resin repairs....except you dont use any matt or cloth.
then there is a bit of sanding to get everything smooth......but it is not too bad and can be done very fast.

cheers
oops