Starcraft American 22

middlewick

Seaman Apprentice
I was just sitting here minding my own business, when my friend Willy calls me and tells me he found me a cheap cruiser. Ya right I'm thinking, but off I go to take a look anyways.
Turns out he was right. Iam now the proud owner of a new to me American 22 cuddy cabin. The good news is it's in great shape and apparently the PO had babied it and had just put a couple grand into it 2 yrs ago. The bad news is its omc. Oh well.
Of course I didn't take my camera with me, but I'm going to go back out and take some shots of her.
190 hp (302 I think) needs a starter and should be good to go. I crawled around inside poking and prodding and there doesn't seem to be any rot at all, and the cuddy is like new inside.
The trailer park on the Lake is cleaning everything up and was getting rid of stuff. I picked this up for a grand total of $250 (I'm pumped). Now I just need to borrow a trailer to get it home and get started on her.

Pictures to follow.

JD in Milwaukee

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Starcraft American 22

Congrats on the purchase. At $250 I think you must have worn a mask and stolen it! I have the "white leg of death" on my Islander. So far so good. It's low speed handling is amazing, it will spin on it's own axis, very nice around the dock. If it does die I'll probably put an outboard on.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Its raining $250.00 boats!
Welcome aboard, cant wait to see her...OMCrarpola leg and all!

barato2

Commander

nice find! even for a don, er, Fine Glass Boat. definite bottom feeder cred there....not just the price but the backstory. i mean, having to pick her up off the ground....it don't get much more bottom feeder than that. good job saving her! welcome to the mob. run the OMC til it dies then weld up a pod for an OB. and laugh at the guys who spent 20x that $ for similar boats.

pix.............??

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

DOOOOD!!!!! a $250 buck cruiser??? i mean really?? Ur lying till I see pics.. :p I KID!!! I KIDDD!!!! :)

ttiwwp.gif

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

I went back and got some pictures and still forgot to look to see what yr it was. The top is going to need some work. It does feel like robbery, but when they stored it at buddies place it was for sale for $1500, he wants it gone and they said go ahead and get the storage price for it. Done deal.

http://s278.photobucket.com/albums/kk93/middlewick/starcraft american 22/

MW, she looks like she has alot of potential!!!!! Get yourself a 50gal drum of elbow grease though.. Looks like she might use that up..
Keep the pics going man. Hope you can get it out and enjoy it ASAP!

PKomrowski

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey thats a great deal! Its great fun if you like to "fixem up" and starting with a good base its great. By the way Stern drive engineering has an outdrive part that will convert the omc outdrive to an alpha outdrive (sort of). You keep the same gimble ect.. but the lower unit is swapped out. This is a great fix to there crappy outdrives, which is there weakest link. There stuff is top shelf and well worth it.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Sweet! Another big Starcraft glasser will soon be among the living!

In actuality, the OMC outdrives aren't as bad as some folks make them out to be. Not great, but if you take care of them, they get the job done... Biggest issue is finding folks who are knowledgeable about working on them and finding the parts...

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Amazing how a 22 footer has 6 feet of actual deck space..
Has it been covered?
If not did you tap the stern/transom areas with a rubber mallet to listen for hollowness sounds?
Apply downward pressure (stand) on the outdrive to see if the transom flexed? Soft spots on the deck?
I really hope that you wont be in the restore section asking about rotten stringers and transom replacement..

middlewick

Seaman Apprentice

From what I've seen so far it has been looked after pretty good. I will try that with the outdrive to check for flex.
I was surprised to see that it has a livewell at the back.

middlewick

Seaman Apprentice

Can anyone confirm wheather this engine is a 302 or not please, it is 190hp.

PKomrowski

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Little more info on the motor, straight, v... Ford, Chevy block... If (im assuming here its a ford v 8 then its a 302) it could be a 318 though, so more info.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Id bet its a 302 block
In the mercruiser trim its stickered as 188hp.
The blue OMC paint must add 2 hp..lol

middlewick

Seaman Apprentice

Yep, she an 8cyl. Pretty sure its the same engine I had in my Bayliner Saratoga. I really haven't spent much time checking it out yet. I've been spending my time trying to find a trailer for the old girl. Heading out now to look at another boat motor trailer combo for $400
I'll let you know how I make out when I get home.

middlewick

Seaman Apprentice

Well we made it home with a donor boat with a 165hp OMC thats sat for a couple years in a Larson Velero that has seen better days, but the trailer may take the Starcraft ( if not I'll sell it and make money).

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Amazing how a 22 footer has 6 feet of actual deck space..
Has it been covered?
If not did you tap the stern/transom areas with a rubber mallet to listen for hollowness sounds?
Apply downward pressure (stand) on the outdrive to see if the transom flexed? Soft spots on the deck?
I really hope that you wont be in the restore section asking about rotten stringers and transom replacement..

Just an FYI - standing on an OMC outdrive does nothing for checking the transom as the outdrive isn't attached to the transom.... It is supported on the stringer mounts via the motor...

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Just an FYI - standing on an OMC outdrive does nothing for checking the transom as the outdrive isn't attached to the transom.... It is supported on the stringer mounts via the motor...

You are 100% on that CW..I often forget that it is not a 100% Mercruiser World...

yet....bwaaa-haaaaa-haaaaaaa-haaaaaaaaa (Evil I/O laugh...)

barato2

Commander

YOU LAUGH--just wait til HondaYamahaNissan start making I/Os and Mercruiser goes the way of the K car..........imagine a boat drivetrain as user friendly and trouble free as an Accord or a Tacoma

besides, i heard you're a closet oil smoke junkie ;)