Checking Spark OX66

Tucker99

Seaman Apprentice
Ok dumb question. Using the spark tester to check the spark distance, how do I disable the ignition/fuel system so the engine doesn't start? Pulling the lanyard kills spark correct? The only time I've had to check spark is when an engine didn't run. Ohmed out spark plug caps and found many where not to the 5-ohm spec. Found out the spark test was the best way to also tell if the coils are up to spec.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Checking Spark OX66

Make a spark tester that you can test all of the plug wires at same time or ground out the ones you are not testing at the time

Tucker99

Seaman Apprentice

Hmmm, buy 6-spark testers?? Thought of grounding the rest of the plugs. I was thinking of pulling the harness to the injectors but was afraid of screwing something up. Sure miss the rodbolt. Been searching for 2-days and can't find any of his posts that say how to do it. Leads me to believe its just a no-run test.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

I believe it was Rodbolt that said to use a multiple home made spark tester.
Do not remember where I saw a post about making one out of a board ,some nails, and some wire.

Best one I saw was old plugs rigged up so you could just plug the plug wires onto them. Be creative and build one for each head so the wires will reach without taking too much apart..

On the newer motor I think the can disable injectors on the computer.
And the techs have meters to read the high voltage out puts along with the inputs to coils, so they do not really need spark testers