very hot manifold

sholm22

Recruit
wellcraft 2001 , 4.3l mercruiser engine , brand new with new manifolds ,when running the left hand side manifold gets red hot with steam coming out of the left hand exhaust , is this normal or am i just getting freaked out over nothing ??

Laddies

Banned
Re: very hot manifold

Thats not normal in most cases you can touch them and at idle they are cold

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Way too hot! You need to investigate. Brand new engine and manifolds? What about risers? Sounds like a water restriction on that side.....JK

rbezdon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Way too hot, you sure the hoses are hooked up where they are supposed to be??

elpaso

Petty Officer 1st Class

steam coming out of the left hand exhaust <br />Is this an inboard ?<br /><br />Need more details - why was engine replaced -<br />who installed manifolds - did this happen on<br />first start up ?<br />Every small detail will help you get an answer.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Pull the riser on that side, and see if it has the wrong gasket there(restricting water flow).....plus if you have any flappers in there, their toast, as probably any rubber hose connections

blevesque

Recruit

I had the same problem with my new 4.3L. were the Hoses leave the thermostat and tee off to the manafolds take both hoses off you will see an object that looks like two ping pong balls that adjust the flows to each maniflod. Nice method isn't it, any way there will be an adjustment nut on one of the balls I would guess it will be the side overheating just losen up on it to adjust the flow to be equal to each manifold. Hope this helps.

rbezdon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Once you find the problem make USRE you replace the flappers. They go fast, even before the smoke comes sometimes. That hot side especially. If that flapper is down in the exhaust your going to get more problems.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

You should be "freaking out" dude.You have many members trying to help you here but you lack the right info and you also lack feedback.The way this forum works is that you describe in detail what your problem is and you exchange feedback and results.Taking the info and running is not what this forum is all about.Charlie

Uncle Dave

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ya got that right CC.<br /><br />Dont know if the thread master could do it but,<br />Maybe a form to fill out to start a thread. Listing boat year engine drive and other pertinate info.<br />I think most newbies dont reallize the we have not seen or heard their boat. They just dont think to list all pertinate info.<br /><br />Sure is nice to see the starter come back and give a final outcome of the problem.<br /><br />Uncle Dave