Loose steering 150 mariner

mbecke2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a skeeter bay pro with a 150 mariner 1996. My steering has lots of play and it steers very hard to the right. I have to use all my strength to hold the steering wheel when Im on a plane or it will turn hard to the right. If I let go of the wheel for one second, the boat will be on the land. Its that bad. I was wondering if there is something I can adjust or check to see what it wrong. Or do I need to get new steering. I think it is a regular single cable steering. I have heard I need two cables or change to hydraulic or no feedback. Anybody?? Thanks.

Re: Loose steering 150 mariner

Loose steering is usually a worn out steering cable. Also, with just a single cable there's going to be some play no matter what. With 150 HP you're up in the range where dual cable steering would probably be beneficial, at higher speeds play in the steering system can lead to chine walk.

Pulling one way or the other requires adjustment of the trim tab on your engine's lower unit. If it pulls to the right you'll need to adjust the trim tab more to the right. This adjustment will only be perfect at one set of conditions, you'll probably want to adjust it so that it's neutral at your normal cruising speed and just deal with whatever steering forces there are at other speeds. It's kind of a trial and error deal, just play with it and find the best all around setting.