HELP!!!! Seat Discoloration

zbitner82

Cadet
I bought a 2006 Suntracker Regency Partbarge pontoon boat about 3 weeks ago from a dealer ship. The seats looked great on it. I brought it home and took it to have a cover made for it. When I took the boat home, I took the cover off and notice that the tops of my seats had a rust colored stain on them. It is mostly where my morring cover rubs the tops of the seats. I immeaditately thought it was something to do with this cover. The cover is white on the bottom and grey on the outside though.....that doesn't make sence. The other thing that doesn't make sence is that all of this discoloration literally came out in 7 days. There wasn't any of this rust color on the seats previously. What is it? How would it come out so fast? What should I do now?

I feel like I should take it back to the dealer and ask him to replace that upholstry that is bad. I think it is a fluke that it happened while I was having the cover made. I don't think I should try to stick them with it.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

0404121748.jpg

Attachments

• 0404121748b.jpg
    0404121748b.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 0404121749.jpg
    0404121749.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 0404121749b.jpg
    0404121749b.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 0

Jeep Man

Commander
Re: HELP!!!! Seat Discoloration

Problem is possibly with the material on the cover. Take it back. The dealer needs to make it right. I have off-white seats on my Regency with a black factory cover and have no issues.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Just maybe...... maybe someone sprayed vinyl paint on those seats.

zbitner82

Cadet

It had crossed my mind that this little blemish was "covered up" by the dealer. Then when I put a tight fitting cover on the paint was rubbed off, exposing the discoloration. My thought is that I would have noticed that there was paint or something on the seats before though. Is it possible to paint over something like that and blend it into the rest of the seat so that it is completely unnoticable???

tpenfield

Staff member

I would try a little bleach on an area of the stain and see if it does anything. If it does not, try a little rust stain remover ( the kind that is for rust stains on fiberglass). That will tell you if it is an organic stain or a mineral stain.

zbitner82

Cadet

I tried bleach on a very small spot. It didn't do a thing. We tried many different vynal and upholstry cleaners and nothing made even the slightest difference. I wish I knew what CAUSED this so I can figure out who to blame. I don't want to reupholster a boat that just bought!

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Alot of boats get this, we got it a little on our last pontoon, under the cover. There was a thread on this earlier that a lot of people discussed the same problem. I think it's mildew from the vinyl on the seat, the cover doesn't let it breath and it comes out.

Believe it or not sunshine made ours go away, and other people said the same thing. You could try some mildew killer, possibly the one that doesn't have bleach in it on a small spot to see if it helps.
I don't think it's in the cover, it's in the seats.

Alex21

Cadet

I used 3M Marine Vinyl Conditioner & Protector with a magic eraser and the vinyl looks brand new again.