91 mariner 75hp fuel pump body

marty53

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi there everyone-

I picked up a used fuel pump to replace my fuel pump that I broke the outlet barb off of replacing the fuel line. I got it on ebay , the part # matched the fuel pump body according to crowleymarine. I'm reusing both of the alumining casing parts from my original, just using the plastic pump body off the one from ebay. The problem is the plastic fuel pump body on the new one I got is black instead of off white that my original was, and its built a little bit different (the way the inlets and outlets are shaped). Everything seems to line up fine otherwise. I'm just wondering if this will be an issue or if I'll be OK rebuilding it this way. I got a rebuild kit so I'm replacing everything inside.

I also have a second question, I tried replacing the 3/8" fuel line on the outlet side of the fuel pump to the fuel filter with some 3/8" fuel line I got at autozone. The problem is from the filter the line has to do a 90 bend to the filter and I cant get it to fit without kinking the hose. Everything is so tight in there(thats how I broke the barb on the pump). I'm thinking if I use the grey poly 3/8" hose that I have some extra from my primer bulb fuel line it will be able to bend more in there. Is that ok to use inside the cowling?

Pic:
IMAG0300.jpg

Any help appreciated!

Sunfish12

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 91 mariner 75hp fuel pump body

I don't think that's going to effect fuel pressure, it should work fine. I'm sure someone else will comment.

carholme

Rear Admiral

What fuel pump do you have, the inline check valve or the 90 degree check valve?

If you are talking about the line from the pump outlet to the filter, do you have enough room to use a 90 defree fitting. A 90 degree bend in the hose is going to cause you problems down the road and will drive you crazy trying to find it. The 90 degree fitting will also relieve any side load on the pump barb, which may be the reason the other one broke off.

Gerry

marty53

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I could probably use a 90 degree brass fitting, I was just thinking that might restrict fuel flow?

I dont know which kind of pump I have, I know it is "design 1" in my factory manual. Here is a picture of what it looks like assembled:

IMAG0301.jpg

Thanks for your help

marty53

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok so I think I have the 90 degree check valve because the fuel line running into the fuel pump isn't spliced.

Any thoughts on my original question about the fuel pump body replacement I bought?

carholme

Rear Admiral

It does have the correct p/n 14360 inbedded, so I would sure give it a go.

Gerry

marty53

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Gary, I will try it and report back..

Whats the word on using the grey poly fuel line that is normally connected to the primer bulb under the engine cowling? is that ok?

marty53

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, rebuilt fuel pump with the newer style body, hooked everything back up today and fired her up! Seemed fine at idle, I only revved it up a little bit on the earmuffs. First start of the season though and all was well.