having trouble figuring output of 6 amp stator

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
I want to put a sound system in my boat, i looked up the output of the stator and its 6 amps, does anyone know what voltage and is that ac or dc, i'm trying to figure what i have left over after powering the coils, the nav lights, to put towards a system and battery charging:confused:

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
Re: having trouble figuring output of 6 amp stator

it's a 1979 Evinrude 85, has anyone hooked a stereo to one? did it still charge the battery?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

a 6 amp stator puts out up to 6 amps at @ 13.6 volts dc.... max charge is only reached at max rpm..... You can put a NORMAL stereo with a couple of simple speakers and be fine.... no amps and understand that the louder you play it the more juice it uses..... also don't expect to float for 12 hours with the tunes jamming and recharge with a 15 minute run to the ramp....

If your radio draws say 3 amps for 6 hours then you will need to run the engine at speed for 3 hours to charge it back up....

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

thank you, i was afraid of that:facepalm:guess i will have to come up with something, maybe a spare battery,a small generator, or a hardtop made of solar panels:D prolly cheaper to just get a wind up boom box:rolleyes:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Forget solar panels. You would need one bigger than y0ur boat to be effective.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

ok, but i still have this vision of me skipping down the river with my shades on:cool:, mullet flappin in the wind, and CCR jammin in the background:D. there's got to be a way to acheave this dream,:(

Bondo

Staff member

ok, but i still have this vision of me skipping down the river with my shades on:cool:, mullet flappin in the wind, and CCR jammin in the background:D. there's got to be a way to acheave this dream,:(

Ayuh,.... With more batteries, 'n charge 'em, when ya get home...

A plain vanilla stereo won't draw all that much current. I have a 4 speaker system, nothing fancy and no amp, and at a volume that was about as much as I could stand I measured the current draw at 3 amps. I'd guess you'll be fine going with something like smoke suggested. I would definitely consider adding a voltmeter to your panel just to be safe.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

i'm thinking of going with a second battery towards the bow to spread out the weight but have read they don't hold up to the beating up there, so i'm wondering about the gel cell batteries used in wheelchairs, i would wire it separate and just recharge it at the end of the day if it goes dead then no tunes but the starting battery would still be fresh:confused:. the other idea i'm entertaining is one of the compact camping type generators then i could take the blender too:D

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

look into the wheel chair batteries, and other deep cycle AGM batteries. most wheel chair batteries are 35ah U1's. there are also 45 and 55 ah rated versions. you can parallel them for greater capacity.

or just go with an AGM group 31, listen to your radio for 10 hours, then when you get home, put it on a charger.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

add a second battery and a perko switch and you will be fine.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

forget the generator unless you intend to use it on land..... carbon monoxide is no joke

Did you miss that a normal radio will be fine with your charging system??? sound carries a LONG way on the water... two well placed quality speakers with a decent head unit will be easily heard by you and FAR more other people than you think......everybody that you pass will know that you are listening to ccr..... just wire up a stereo with what you have and go with it.... If for some reason you discover that you have a problem, worry about adding batts, amps, etc then.

In my experience, boating is a social experience, and I usually find myself turning the tunes down any way so I can talk to and hear my passengers....

You can also looking to sound proofing your motor cowling to get more for less with your tunes.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

i was going to skip the head unit and feed an amplifier from mp3/digital player, but at lower volumes the amp doesn't draw much, so since the volume will be low unless under power when its turned up to hear over the engine, but then it will be charging because its under power, so i should be ok? also i remember a place for a starting rope on the flywheel, how hard would it be to pull start rude v4 85hp?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I had the same idea years ago (before mp3's existed)... I had a cheap jenson 40x2 amp with a walkman... it worked fine BUT once in a while someone says "here play this cd" and you can't lol..... if the engine is in good tune, it should start pretty easily... also you could install a low voltage cutoff...... kills power before the batt gets too low to start the engine.

... but then it will be charging because its under power, so i should be ok?

I think so. A normal starting battery has around a 75 amp-hour capacity (I can't remember the exact number off the top of my head). If you listen to tunes for 10 hours (assuming a draw of around 3 amps) you've used up less than half of the battery capacity. And really, how long will you ever sit and listen to music in one spot? If you want an extra margin get one of the larger starting batteries or a combo deep cycle/starting battery, with over 100 amp-hours of capacity.

also i remember a place for a starting rope on the flywheel, how hard would it be to pull start rude v4 85hp?

Try it in your driveway first (with a second person with his hand on the ignition switch) to see how it works out.