Question:removing splashwell(?)

island mike

Chief Petty Officer
Hi all.
My former boss at the boatyard says removing the splashwell to make a little more room on my 18ft.cuddy is a bad idea,he says it will weaken the boats structure..but what does he know right?:facepalm:(chuckle)
What is you opinion?
Regards Island mikeagain.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Question:removing splashwell(?)

iMike,
I'm FARRRRRRR from being a Boat Designer/Engineer but... (Doncha just hate it when someone says that!!!:facepalm:) IMHO the splashwell was placed there by the Designer/Engineer for a specific reason. My research tells me that the Low Cut out Transoms have at times had issues with sudden stop backwash that can really put a lot of water in the boat. Especially in High Wave or Wake conditions. This would not be good. The splashwell seems to help this condition.

From a structural point of view it makes some sense too, but for me I would think it's more about the safety. You asked so I gave it...That's my opinion. But I am just an....
OldDumbOkie.jpg

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

iMike,
I'm FARRRRRRR from being a Boat Designer/Engineer but... (Doncha just hate it when someone says that!!!:facepalm:) IMHO the splashwell was placed there by the Designer/Engineer for a specific reason. My research tells me that the Low Cut out Transoms have at times had issues with sudden stop backwash that can really put a lot of water in the boat. Especially in High Wave or Wake conditions. This would not be good. The splashwell seems to help this condition.
Thanks,wood and you are right of course,I was just playing around with the idea..Thanks for quick reply

From a structural point of view it makes some sense too, but for me I would think it's more about the safety. You asked so I gave it...That's my opinion. But I am just an....
OldDumbOkie.jpg
Thanks,Wood and of course you are absolutely right, just playing around with the idea...Thanks fot the insight and quick reply! regards

The question to you, my friend, was an honest one. You might be surprised, if you hang around here long enough, to see the large number of uninitiated among us which, as it appears, you are one of them for asking such a silly question and responding in such an immature manner.

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

Allright all,
woody just about covered All my questions but I would like to hear some more serious opinions....Y.d ???

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

The question to you, my friend, was an honest one. You might be surprised, if you hang around here long enough, to see the large number of uninitiated among us which, as it appears, you are one of them for asking such a silly question and responding in such an immature manner.
Lets keep the issues down,allright?
Why dont you read my post a little better next time..Youre asking ME if I know what a splashwell is,Dont you think thats a little obvious?My question was about the removal of it . I did not insult you,Dont insult me. There is no such thing as Silly questions asked here on this site.I was hoping for some professional feedback when I posted my question, So next time you respond think twice about posting such a "constructive"question. there are as you yourself state;uninitiated around.... Regards.I mike

BillP

Captain

Lets keep the issues down,allright?
Why dont you read my post a little better next time..Youre asking ME if I know what a splashwell is,Dont you think thats a little obvious?My question was about the removal of it . I did not insult you,Dont insult me. There is no such thing as Silly questions asked here on this site.I was hoping for some professional feedback when I posted my question, So next time you respond think twice about posting such a "constructive"question. there are as you yourself state;uninitiated around.... Regards.I mike

Insults seem to happen here way more often than years ago...kinda makes a person not want to come back...but just blow them off. Anyway, I see Carribean (I spent two yrs cruising) and it brings thoughts of large sloppy chop dashing over the stern. Is the boat self bailing? If not, it's probably a better idea to leave as is. If you're boating in a mil pond then go for it. The stern can be reinforced to make up the slack from a cutout well if you really want to go there.
bp

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Since its the only structure between the gunwales at the back of the boat I would think that it is providing support for the boat. Even more importantly it would keep a wave over the stern from swamping the boat.
Maybe you could shorten the splashwell like MichaelP did to his Starcraft? His is aluminum, but I'd think you could do something similar with 'glass.

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

thanks for your feedback,I think the engine when tilted would not allow for the shortening of the well.
But you are very right about the waves ..
regards I mike.

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, that's been a issue with us tinnie guys also. Maybe you could add a couple angles so the splashwell dips down some in the middle to allow the OB to tilt fully?
Or just do what oops did and extend the entire hull a few feet! :D

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

Insults seem to happen here way more often than years ago...kinda makes a person not want to come back...but just blow them off. Anyway, I see Carribean (I spent two yrs cruising) and it brings thoughts of large sloppy chop dashing over the stern. Is the boat self bailing? If not, it's probably a better idea to leave as is. If you're boating in a mil pond then go for it. The stern can be reinforced to make up the slack from a cutout well if you really want to go there.
bp
Thank you,Very true...and coming from someone who sports a pirate badge and hides behind his p.c calling people immature over here in the caribbean has to be ignored.I doubt he has much boating experience.
Thank you also for your helpful feedback

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah,Thought about that Erwinner,Extending mmmmmmhhhhh...i will sleep over it.

I asked, "Do you know what a splashwell is for?" I believe, not knowing you, that was a logical question.

You pompously replied, "Its to make fire in it and then roast some fish using the engine to fan the smoke out."

And I am accused if being insulting?

That you are in the Caribbean does not make you an expert and the truth is if you were an expert you would know the splashwell will help keep a wave from coming over the stern and swamping the boat thus saving your life. I mean...we have "boaters" here asking if they should put floatation in their hulls...seriously? Would you LIKE to drown? Recently, we lost an experienced boater from stupidity...experienced!

Here I have seen several boats swamped as such and far too many almost swamped only to be saved because of the splashwell. However, if you would like to cut yours out, please do so.

Geebus dude, it was a question...get over it...I did not mean to offend you. There is no hiding behind anything--my profile is public knowledge.

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

I asked, "Do you know what a splashwell is for?" I believe, not knowing you, that was a logical question.

You pompously replied, "Its to make fire in it and then roast some fish using the engine to fan the smoke out."

And I am accused if being insulting?

That you are in the Caribbean does not make you an expert and the truth is if you were an expert you would know the splashwell will help keep a wave from coming over the stern and swamping the boat thus saving your life. I mean...we have "boaters" here asking if they should put floatation in their hulls...seriously? Would you LIKE to drown? Recently, we lost an experienced boater from stupidity...experienced!

Here I have seen several boats swamped as such and far too many almost swamped only to be saved because of the splashwell. However, if you would like to cut yours out, please do so.

Geebus dude, it was a question...get over it...I did not mean to offend you. There is no hiding behind anything--my profile is public knowledge.

This is pathetic your true colours are showing for everyone to see,I wanted to keep it clean because this site is for passing on knowledge not trying to be someone else.Why do you ask me on my own thread if I know what the subject is of my question is?THATS insulting. Its like asking someone :should I paint my car,and someone answers;Do you know what a car is.Its insulting.The word already says it all: Splashwell..I made a joke following your incredible question. then you react by insulting me
by telling me my question was silly and my reaction immature.Then you start to explain to me what a splashwell is!! I KNOW what a splashwell is!! Hahah..Sorry you are completly off track my friend!Wow ,I wish you well in this world my friend.My guess is that you are very young,And know very little yet about how to adress people, and boats well...,lets just keep it at that okay?
My profile is also public by the way....Regards Island mike