Your advise counts!

sasada

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So im trying to reprop my boat and want to see what you think...yes you. :)

Currently i have a Monterey 218LS BR. Its equiped with a 5.7L GSi Volvo (max rpm 5000) and a SS 3blade 14 3/8 X 21" prop. This is not my first boat and can tell i def need to try a different prop. I had it out this past weekend and trimmed out WOT was 4200rpm @ 51mph GPS. Boat and current test load was about 4800lbs. It runs great but really seemed like a pooch all the way around...0 to plane, mid range, and top end.

I want to try an alum prop befroe biting the bullet on a SS. No doubt i would like to maintain the best top speed i can but know most of my time will be spent tubing, skiing, and cruising. I think i am going to try a Solas Amita 4blade 14.25"X17" aluminum and go from there. From what i understand 4blades tend to lack a bit top end and tend to drag 1-2" more in pitch than a 3bl but hoping if i can up my WOT rpms to the 4900-5000 range i can somewhat maintain a decent top end speed. The boat really didnt seem to want to plane till about 20mph which seemed high to me and to pull a beginner skier that fast may be unwise. My end goal is to plane quicker, cruise well, and bring up my WOT RPMs. What do you folks think i should try?

sasada

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Your advise counts!

Hey all,

Forgot to mention the outdrive is a Volvo-penta SX 1:43 and the prop manufacturer is Ballistic.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Just like everyone you forgot the year.
I can't speak directly to the Ballistic except that it is designed with bow lift and apparently for best speed.
Bow lift can slow hole shot and we know a 21 is too much prop.It appears a 17" prop would get you about 5000.
If you want Aluminum you might consider a Turning Point Hustler. Close to ss performance in an al prop.
Dropping 4" you shouldn't need a 4 blade.It appears you could end up in the 50 mph range.And get some hole shot.
That doesn't happen too often.
As with all prop changes nothing is carved in stone.

sasada

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just like everyone you forgot the year.
I can't speak directly to the Ballistic except that it is designed with bow lift and apparently for best speed.
Bow lift can slow hole shot and we know a 21 is too much prop.It appears a 17" prop would get you about 5000.
If you want Aluminum you might consider a Turning Point Hustler. Close to ss performance in an al prop.
Dropping 4" you shouldn't need a 4 blade.It appears you could end up in the 50 mph range.And get some hole shot.
That doesn't happen too often.
As with all prop changes nothing is carved in stone.

Sorry Steelspike....Its a 2001 thank you for the help!

sasada

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got a new prop in the mail today. A Turning Point Hustler 14.5"x17p 4blade. I will let you know what i find once i get a chance to take it out.

sasada

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just an FYI for yall. I installed my 14.5"x17 Hustler 4blade prop today and tried it out. So far i am very happy with. Shoots to boat out of the hole and TONS more midrange power. Did loose 1mph top end (could have been because of the chop) but dont care because i also gained quite a bit of smoothness as well. Was a fair chop on the water today but topped out perfectly. 5000rpm at 50mph gps.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Isn't it nice when all that figuring works out? Thanks for the update.

sasada

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Isn't it nice when all that figuring works out? Thanks for the update.

Yes it is! As you know i had a lot of mental debate as to what to buy and after hours of research you helped me find the right one for my application. Thank you very much!