1988 omc starting problems (no spark)

68dustin

Seaman
Well tryed to start my boat for the first time this year and "nope" :confused: Its a 4.3l omc 1988, i used my continuity test light and im getting power from the igntion to the coil, but when i checked to see if any spark was comming from plug wires "nothing" i then put the test light on the end of the coil wire and it was real dim when i turned the motor over. I swaped the coil out and still nothing. So i guess it leaves me to the points and condensor?? What do you all think? I have to order the points, so for a few buck i might as well eliminate that. any pointers will help thank guys..

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1988 omc starting problems (no spark)

So i guess it leaves me to the points and condensor??

Ayuh,... That's where ya shoulda Started,.... Changin' the points is an Annual affair....

68dustin

Seaman

Ayuh,... That's where ya shoulda Started,.... Changin' the points is an Annual affair....

would anybody happen to know what the auto replacement would be?? just get them at ur local auto parts store?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The distributor on your engine is going to be dificult to match up anything on an auto. You probably have a Mallory or Prestolite distributor so you need to get points for whatever version was put on there.

SpitAndDirt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

would anybody happen to know what the auto replacement would be?? just get them at ur local auto parts store?

You may be able to get them at an auto parts store, that is, if they still have illustrated parts catalogs. First of all, do you know how to set points correctly? Are you sure you even need a new set yet? Have you tried filing them flat with a piece of folded sandpaper? And may I suggest if you have the money($60-$100), why not try an electronic points conversion kit from Pertronix.com It would elimnate ever having to change points again and you wouldn't have to set dwell angle/point gap either. Just a suggestion....:)

I checked CrowleyMarine.com and the stock part number I came up with was OMC# 0987894

68dustin

Seaman

when i get off work tonight im gonna pull them out and clean them up. I ordered a new set today, but wont be here until early next week. I have petronix in my 68 cougar, and they work great. I'm gonna look into them as well.

i gaped the points at .019 and that seems to be the norm. Whats a good site to look for a petronix setup for this year?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Do your self a big favor and buy a dwell meter. Gapping them gets the points close. Using a dwell meter gets them set right. You then need to check your timing as dwell affects timing.

68dustin

Seaman

ok, so well my buddy has a dwell meter. from what i've been reading should be 37-41? Does it have to be running to set get a dwell reading? Ive never used one before. Red lead goes to (-) on coil? the black wire goes to ground on block? turn motor over a few times and see what its reading? is this correct? thanks..

Bondo

Staff member

Do your self a big favor and buy a dwell meter. Gapping them gets the points close. Using a dwell meter gets them set right. You then need to check your timing as dwell affects timing.

Ayuh,.... probably near the same money as the pertronix...:p

I used to have a full kit of tune up tools,....
Ain't seen my dwell meter in darn near 20 years,... 15 anyways....
Can't remember the last time I seen 1 listed in a catalog,...??...

'course, back in high school days, a matchbook cover, 'n a screwdriver got ya Home....:cool:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

ok, so well my buddy has a dwell meter. from what i've been reading should be 37-41? Does it have to be running to set get a dwell reading? Ive never used one before. Red lead goes to (-) on coil? the black wire goes to ground on block? turn motor over a few times and see what its reading? is this correct? thanks..

Just crank it with the distributor cap off to set the dwell. There may be a slight delta in the value measured that way and when its running so you may have to do that step twice.

Before I would spend a penny on a pertronix, I would just add a little more and buy a Delco EST distributor.

http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP7605...YUUS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333576585&sr=8-1

Dwell meter $25
Pertronix $125
Delco EST $259 but includes new wires, cap, & rotor and you don't have to worry about distributor weights and a worn distributor shaft with your current distributor.

http://www.michiganmotorz.com/delco-voyager-marine-electronic-distributor-p-121.html

here is a used one on ebay that is way too expensive but they are taking offers
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MerCruiser-..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item3f1557d1c9&vxp=mtr

SpitAndDirt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Before I would spend a penny on a pertronix, I would just add a little more and buy a Delco EST distributor.

+1 on the distributor replacement kit.

I have to admit, if the guy has the spare change, this is a great idea. I've used several Pertronix products in the past on various vehicles, but in those cases, a replacement distributor was not readily availaible or available at all.

68dustin

Seaman

i would consider the new dizzy replacement, but first i want to find out why im not getting spark. i just want to get it running again with points, then i can start looking for upgrades. I took the old points out last night and sanded down the contact points, put them in and setted them back up correctly. Seems like im getting more spark out of the coil, but not enough out the plug wires. My new points wont be in for a few more days, so i guess its waiting time. Is there anything else that effects the spark other than coil and distributor? The coil is getting plenty of power when the key is on.

by the way.. thanks for all the help & input.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

What is the voltage at the coil with the points closed and with them open? You could have a bad condensor. What is the condition of your cap, rotor and spark lug wires?

68dustin

Seaman

What is the voltage at the coil with the points closed and with them open? You could have a bad condensor. What is the condition of your cap, rotor and spark lug wires?

The cap, rotor, plugs, & wires were replaced last june. The boat has been sitting with little use. I will check the volts tonight and let u know.