1989 Johnson 150 power tilt trim problem

chesney1603

Seaman
I had a bad seal that was causing a small leak of fluid. Over time the t/t would stop every three seconds or so if going up or down. I would wait about the same time and it would resume again. This was a real pain in the *** getting the motor up and down, took forever. I replaced the o-ring and filled the t/t with fluid. The thing is the t/t is still doing the same thing. What's my problem here? Other than the fact I'm new to owning a boat with an outboard. Please help.

OutOfControl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1989 Johnson 150 power tilt trim problem

chesney,
Does it still have a leak?
If not, you should bleed the system by running it down and back up at least 5 times while refilling/checking the fluid level between cycles.

chesney1603

Seaman

no there is no longer a leak. I have run in up and down a couple of times. The thing that sucks is that it takes about 5 minutes to get it down than another 5 to get back up. I only get a couple of inches of movement before the t/t stops. Then I wait 5 to 10 seconds then I get another couple of inches. When I back the fill screw off fluid pours out.

OutOfControl

Petty Officer 3rd Class

chasney,
Does the motor run without moving up or down, or does it come on intermittently when the switch is activated?
I would just suggest cleaning up the connections and/ or check the wiring itself for corrosion.

chesney1603

Seaman

It'll move up and down. I'll be holding the button, the motor will move, then just stop. I'll release the button, wait a couple of seconds, and press it again. Again I will bet a couple of inches of movement then it'll just stop. I have to repeat this process for damn near 5 minutes just to get the motor down and back up

Will Bark

Lieutenant

When the engine stops moving is the trim motor still running or does it cut off? If trim motor is quitting then you have a heat related problem probably a connection somewhere. Good luck

OutOfControl

Petty Officer 3rd Class

chesney,
I did not word my previous post correctly. Does the TnT motor run when the switch is activated and continue to run without actually lifting or lowering the motor?
Sorry if the answer is the same, I just want to make sure we are on the same page.
Other than cleaning up the connections and inspecting the wires for corrosion, I am not sure what the next step would be. Some of the more knowledgeable posters may be able to help.

chesney1603

Seaman

Everything stops. Engine stops moving and the T/T motor stops. If I release the up or down button during the time all systems stop, all I can hear are the relays clicking. I checked all the connections, including the relay points, and cleaned everything. Still having the same problem. I even spent a long time running the engine up and down about 10 times, then ran it all the way up, rams fulling extended, and checked the fluid level. As soon as I started backing the fill screw off fluid ran out, so I know it's got fluid.

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

Chesney... I've had similar problem and found bad contact inside the switch. To test this I shorted wires(used jumper wires) to circumvent the switch. I've located many problems this way... just use a wire to work around a switch or connection. If it starts working properly then you have located the bad contact point (connection). If it continues to have the problem it is sometimes the brushes or whatever electrical contact inside the motor.