Bottom Paint?

scrat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm planning on having my cruiser bottom painted. I plan on leaving it in the waqter for about a year, pulling it every 3 months or so for a good hull wash down. It will be in fresh water at a covered marina. once or twice a year I'll take it to the salt for a week or two.. Now the question.. It seems there are 1000 types of bottom paint. My dealer will paint it fairly reasonable if I provide the paint. Looking for suggestions / consensus on what type of bottom paint I should look at.
Thanks.

sasto

Captain
Re: Bottom Paint?

For use in saltwater and freshwater my favorite paint is Trilux 33.

Good Luck!

scrat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is that ablative or hard? I kept it inthe water once for about 5 months without paint. Gawd, cleaning that crap off the hull was an experience.... thanks,

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Interlux VC-17 is the Best BP out there IMHO ...

... For Cruise boats or Blows ..

YD.

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah there are a lot of antfouling paints to choose from,Coppercoat,Hard or soft paints,Selfpolishing,Look at your situation,ask seller wich would be best for your needs..Question:Why are you letting someone else do it?? Its a very easy and forgiving job....
I myself dont like the hard paint..if sanding its a b!&ch to get off..
Whatever you choose good luck.

sasto

Captain

There you have it. YD's paint is hard, mine ablative.

I did some research for my own good, as I am considering removing my ablative paint and going hard. We had a new in 2000 a 64' Viking Sportfish that traveled to the Great Lakes and Caribbean every year for several years. We used Micron 33, which was later replaced by Trilux 33. Our bottom without a doubt always looked better than others. We pulled her every 2 years for another coat. There was no reason to change.

Nowdays I spend alot of time cleaning the bottoms of large boats on a monthly basis. I do this in the water with scuba equipment. The cleaning of ablative bottom is much different than hard. With ablative I go easy with the scotch pad, hard scrubbing will remove the paint. With the hard paint, I must go over the bottom with my scotch pad to "rejuvinate'' the anti-fouling properties. I have seen some very good results in using Interlux VC-17 as well.

Mind you, these boats are in a heavy fouling area in South Florida. My conclusion is with heavy fouling, I may stick with my ablative. Your case may be that hard is better.

I would like this discussion to go further.

Capt. Mike Samuels
MY "Amusement" and SF "Andrea C"

sasto

Captain

I myself dont like the hard paint..if sanding its a b!&ch to get off..

That's my drawback, island mike. When it comes to do the job myself, I don't think I want the hassle.....even though I've seen up close the results.

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

That's my drawback, island mike. When it comes to do the job myself, I don't think I want the hassle.....even though I've seen up close the results.
a well known quote just came to mind: If your bottom is dirty it will slow you down,Imagine what it will do to your boat.

But yeah sasto your right man,In any case my experience with all the hulls I sanded that the hard antfouling is plain torture,the pads just fill up after a few minutes and are useless after.At at almost two bucks a pad I could have gotten me a return ticket to miami including hotel.If you do decide to go with hard you would have to sand your hull down to the primer also cause hard does not adhere well on soft(er) paints,The other way around;yes.In any case a hassle in my humble opinion just not worth it.
I will never change from ablative,I refuse to go hard!!haha I mike

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

There you have it. YD's paint is hard, mine ablative.

Actually.. VC-17 is not a 'hard' bottom paint :) .. ( Im not talking VC Offshore .. but VC-17M ).

VC-17M is more like a bottom 'coating'..not a bottom Paint like you would think..

When most of us say "bottom paint" or "AF paint" we bring up ideas of a gallon of nasty paint that needs a paddle mixer and someone with a strong arm(s) to get that gallon from point A to point B ( Heavy Paint )..

VC-17 does not even come in Gallons. It ONLY comes in Quart sizes ..

So while some may buy a gallon or three of regular BP .. some buy just 2-4 qts. of VC-17 ..

Why ??

Because VC-17M is Water thin..you apply with a Foam roller..you mix per/qt ..not a gallon.

This is not 'regular' bottom paint.. its a 'coating' .. and a Very good one at that :) ..

I have done Years of bottom washings when Haul-out comes to Michigan..when the boats get lifted out of the water .. we all scramble to the pressure washer that is closest to the VC bottom :D .. I am not kidding.. It does not matter if its a 45' with VC..or a 20' with CSC .. we all want that 45'er .. ;) ..

Just look into the VC is all I am suggesting..after that .. its up to you..

YD.

sasto

Captain

Just look into the VC is all I am suggesting..after that .. its up to you..

YD.

After your first post I did do some research. I like what I read. I talked to others. I think the VC would be a good choice for the OP. VC is not that good in my waters, but would fit him well.

I hope I'm not hijacking, just shedding some light on the subject. YD, I can't find any info on whether the VC is advisable for a trailered boat. I have one on a lift that only occasionally sits in the water for a few days.

Thanks.