Teleflex seastar outboard hydraulic steering question

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer
I have this system on a 200hp honda motor. I am wondering what fluid can I use to top off the Helm's steering Reservoir for my hydraulic steering? Do i have to get Teleflex's hydraulic steering fluid? What do you guys use for these sea star systems?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Teleflex seastar outboard hydraulic steering question

Google Teleflex and call them. Ask to speak to customer service. By law, they have to tell you an acceptable substitute. If there is no acceptable substitute, they have to give you the required stuff, free.

Let us know how they respond.

My guess: Dextron II ATF or Aircraft Hydraulic Fluid.

IllesheimVet

Petty Officer 3rd Class

According to teleflex, you can use Aircraft hyd, fluid (5606) instead of the seastar oil. You can find 5606 for around $6.00 a qt. Do not use Skydrol. ATF can be used in an emergency although some have used it consistently and had no problems. Personally, I use 5606.

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer

According to teleflex, you can use Aircraft hyd, fluid (5606) instead of the seastar oil. You can find 5606 for around $6.00 a qt. Do not use Skydrol. ATF can be used in an emergency although some have used it consistently and had no problems. Personally, I use 5606.

Thanks for the responses, where can I find the 5606 fluid at? Ive searched online with very little luck.

IllesheimVet

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Your local General Aviation airport will also probably sell you a few quarts.

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer

I called teleflex before i read your post, and they told me i need 5606G and there are many different brands. Also said West Marine should carry this. Im going to check a price on their brand too.

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer

shoot $26.99 at west marine.

IllesheimVet

Petty Officer 3rd Class

5606H is the latest version. From what i've read the H is compatible with A thru G. I don't think it matters if it says Shell, Phillips or Royco on the can. It's still 5606.

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer

thanks man your a huge help!! ordering the fluid now!