Please help

wutevvvver

Cadet
Please if anyone can help? I have an Evinrude 200XP Mod Yr. 1989 on a Stratos 180VT (1986) with the hot foot throttle instead of helm. Engine starts fine idles fine but when I shift to forward and hit the gas it sputters, lugs, and dies. When trying to restart it fires right up like nothing was wrong. I know next to nothing about outboards so I need help. I have drained the fuel to check for water(good) I checked the spark plugs and they are wet fouled. My fuel ratio is 50:1. The carbs were rebuilt about a year ago (new kits) When it's cool out it takes forever to get it started but once started runs fine. I have listed everything I can think of to get some help but if more info is needed I will gladly provide it. oh, while I was out fishing Saturday while driving along about 4000 RPM it sarted acting like it was fuel starved Gas tank had about half a tank and the pick up and fuel filter were clean. It does use alot of fuel but I'm not sure if its there is a problem or if it is just because its a 200. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:facepalm:

64osby

Admiral
Re: Please help

A 200hp at WOT can use up to 20 gallons per hour.

Have someone pump your primer bulb when you are trying to throttle up. If the problem goes away you most likely have a fuel pump issue.

It also sounds like you have an issue with your choke, if the cold start is that difficult. I know nothing about hot foots, How do you engage your choke?

You also say after a cold start it runs fine, No sputtering?

Also welcome to iboats. It is a great source of info and there a lot of really nice people here that can help sort out the issues