80's Evinrude 35hp won't start

608WB

Cadet
Hello,

I recently acquired a boat equipped with a 35hp evinrude outboard, came with a seasonal property I bought. I tried to start it last year for the first time in about 10 years and it eventually fired up, but would only run with full choke. I put it away for the winter and failed to put stabil in the fuel. I dragged it out last weekend and it wouldn't start. Spark is good, plugs were a little wet, but not very. When I spray starter fluid in the carb the thing fires right up and runs until the starter fluid is gone.

Looking for an opinion on what it likely is, I am thinking a seriously gummed up carb. In anyone's experience, how easy are the carbs to pull off the motor and clean. Looks like its pretty wedged in behind the starter. Thanks

CatfishMN

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 80's Evinrude 35hp won't start

The carb is going to be the main suspect if it has sat like that. Gummed up jets and orifices and the like. Also, don't pray starting fluid into a 2 stroke as it has no lubricants and is hard on the cylinders.

You may want to start with a carb kit and really clean it up. Look at the 'Awakening a Sleeping Outboard' thread in the 'Top Secret Files' stickied to the top of this forum.

Also, welcome to iBoats!

jasper60103

Commander

Yea, before you can remove the carb, you have to remove the starter & bracket assembly. Its not hard to do.

608WB

Cadet

I figured that a car rebuild kit was in order. One other thing is that last fall when I started it, it took a great deal of cranking and if finally fired up. While I was cranking it gas was coming out of the air intake on the carb, really flooded I think. This year, no matter how much cranking and choking I did no gas came out of the carb.

I am going to tear it down this weekend, is it possible to just clean the carb without purchasing a rebuild kit (don't think I'm going to have time to get to a dealership before the weekend. What is the best product for cleaning stale gas and varnish?

Rayandrewss

Seaman

I put my carb in a gallon of carb cleaner overnight, then sprayed the whole thing with seafoam. Rebuild kits are not expensive online and worth the work. Check the sticky file on how to clean a carb.....it's the best way to go.

skier167

Cadet

I would recommend the carb kit as well. I just got done rebuilding a 1980 Evinrude 35HP outboard. There is a cork gasket that separates the black silencer from the carb. I found out that these tear really easy. Let me know if you have any questions about rebuilding any part of the motor. I rebuilt the entire power head and lower unit this past winter.

608WB

Cadet

Skier167, I am going to attempt this on my own, I got the motor running the passed weekend without any work, just fired right up and would run well with the choke, but still won't get up to top rpm, I think its the high speed jet that is all clogged up.

How do I remove the starter, is it the two bolts on the bottom (because they seem almost impossible to get a wrench on) or do you have to remove the entire bracket that holds the starter assembly in place.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Ive just rebuilt my 80s 35, i just cleaned it and didnt use a rebuild kit. The small hoses underneath and to the side can spring a few tears where they bend so have a good look at them too
I rebuilt the whole motor so not sure about removing just the starter, but the bracket comes off pretty easy, you may want to take a picture first of the wiring around there to use in reinstall.

jasper60103

Commander

Skier167, I am going to attempt this on my own, I got the motor running the passed weekend without any work, just fired right up and would run well with the choke, but still won't get up to top rpm, I think its the high speed jet that is all clogged up.

How do I remove the starter, is it the two bolts on the bottom (because they seem almost impossible to get a wrench on) or do you have to remove the entire bracket that holds the starter assembly in place.

yes.

skier167

Cadet

Attached is a photo of the starter bracket with one bolt circled that you have to remove. You also have to remove the two screws that hold the throttle rod in place along with that bracket. After that remove the silencer box and behind there you will see a threaded rod with a bolt holding the starter bracket in place. Pull that off and it should slide forward and right out. The two bottom screws hold the starter solenoid. I loosen them and just slide it off. Be careful when removing or installing the silencer box. There is a paper thin cork gasket in between the two and it can tear easy. I had the same issue with mine after I rebuilt the motor but not the carb. The high flow jet is in the bottom of the bowl and I just put some carb cleaner in there for a few hours and then hit it really good with an air compressor and it works great now.starterr.jpg

608WB

Cadet

Thanks for all the help everyone, I pulled the carb off and it was filthy. Cleaned it all up and it runs like its fresh off the showroom floor!

jasper60103

Commander

Thanks for all the help everyone, I pulled the carb off and it was filthy. Cleaned it all up and it runs like its fresh off the showroom floor!

Great. Thanks for the update.

skier167

Cadet

Glad to hear it!! Just out of curiosity what size boat do you have it on and what's the top speed on it?

608WB

Cadet

It is on a 14ft or 15ft fibreglass closed bow boat that appears to be from the 70's I would guess, it came with a property I purchased. It haven't clocked it with the GPS but I would say it easily does 25mph with one person in the boat.