Throttle in wrong position in relation to remote control position.

Nebrittany

Cadet
I don't know if "me" asking this question for my brother is the right thing to do, or not (third hand information). Considering I just had a temporal lobectomy last Thursday, and the last thing I need to deal with is "family drama" mostly witnessed from my sister in law.

Though from what I've learned from my brother is that his "wife" has latched on to a real doozy.

The pontoon boat its self I have no idea how old it is. Or exactly what all needs to be done to it. But from what I've been told, I'd bought the boat for the motor and scrapped the boat. But this is "her" project.
Which is why the only one thing I've decided to focus is the outboard, I don't need the family drama hovering around the rest of the boat.

By what information he gave me Serial# 0T230434 Model# 1F25412YD
I was able to learn from Mercury that it's a 2001 25 Hp ELPT 4S. As to how many hours is on it, I have not a clue, at this point being his first boat. (something he didn't have much say so in buying) I'm not going to stress that matter at this point. Just once thing's get settled down, and I'm back to better health, I'll get him on a 100hr or seasonal routine of changing engine oil, lower unit lube, filter, etc. and the others that come up that I'm not going to mention to him as of yet. Who knows maybe I'll just do it for him, to stop the friction between the two of them.

Though one of the things he mentioned right off hand was that when the throttle on the remote is in neutral, the engine is it's self is wanting to run about half throttle forward. I told him with out seeing it for my self, which I'm trying to avoid at the moment at least until these head aches go away from the surgery. I can't tell him exactly what is going on, though I have an idea as to what's going on. But my final suggestion to him at the time was, considering the situations, my health, etc. I suggested him to take the boat to a Mercury repair center. Whether he listen's to me or not, is another story. I suppose I'll be finding out this Easter Sunday, :rolleyes:

How easy this mater will be to fix, I'm uncertain since I haven't seen the problem motor personally. Which is why I come here with this matter, with out seeing it personally, and my current health in the mix, even I'm questioning my own judgment at this time. Though they both (brother & sister in-law) know if they are willing to wait til I get better, I'm willing to help him any way I can.

Ldavidgrover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Throttle in wrong position in relation to remote control position.

Either your cables are worn and cracked or you need to try to adjust them back at the motor. Locate the shift cable on the motor and readjust to the shift slide.in the center position.

Nebrittany

Cadet

After talking to my Brother some more this evening, it sounds as if this "throttle" issue will be waiting for me when I come over for Easter. (Oh I'm so excited) I've always said, "I'm glad I got five brothers...........that way when I get disgusted of one, I'll have four others to turn too.

Hopefully by then these headaches will be manageable, today seemed to be one of my better days so far.

Everything you mentioned "Ldavidgrover", I could explain that to my brother word for word, over the phone and "trust me" he wouldn't understand a word I said to him. He's the type, your just better off to do it for him. Which is why I told him tonight, if he wants me to look at it, just wait. But don't be trying to launch the boat until the problem is addressed.

So for now, the saga continues. :facepalm:

Nebrittany

Cadet

After finally getting "away" from my brother as fast as I could today. :rolleyes:

The matter with this 2001 25hp 4-stroke turned out to be rather comical but simple.

Either the previous owner or the dealer my brother had purchased the boat from, had reversed the throttle and shift cables. When you'd attempt to move the remote in to the forward position the engine would wind the throttle up but never engage the lower unit. I could manually move the shift to engage the lower unit but when we'd try to do so with the remote, it would do the same thing over.

That's when we switched the two cables and bingo!!!! The engine would remain at idle when engaging the lower unit in either forward or reverse then if the operator wanted to increase the throttle it would do so flawlessly!!!

My only guess is that "someone" pulled this motor off another boat and when they installed it on to this boat they got the cables switched. Previous owner? Dealer? Who knows.........