Tilt pump/resevoir gasket or seal? More trouble post #7

Rulost

Seaman
The tilt pump on my Chrysler 135 is leaking and -seems-to be where the pump/resevoir meet. Is there a seal or gasket available to fix this? Everything works great as long as I fill it before a trip to the lake, but I really rather just fix the leak. By the look of the lines it looks like someone has messed with it before.

tilt pump.jpg

RRitt

Captain
Re: Tilt pump/resevoir gasket or seal?

sometimes the reservoirs get hot and warp. try putting in a new SAE # 041 oring. if that doesn't work try an SAE #041 quad lobe oring. if that doesn't work then you need new reservoir.

Rulost

Seaman

Thanks RRitt, I will give it a shot. I haven't had this boat long, so there's no telling what the previous owner did with it. Worst case, I do have another outboard with all of the PTT in working order so I can swap it if really needed. Trying not to do that as I'd like to get the other engine ready to find a boat to go on.

Rulost

Seaman

Well, I picked up an o-ring and took the pump off the resevoir. Obviously someone had jacked with it before with no common sense. There was no o-ring in place, but instead they had wrapped the pump with plumber's tape where the o-ring should have been. The entire outside of the joint was then covered in some kind of epoxy before it was painted. No wonder it leaked! I will put it back together tomorrow and see if there are any leaks. They sure went through alot of trouble over a .50 cent o-ring...

RRitt

Captain

when the system is fully lowered the inside of the pump becomes pressurized. it is best to avoid putting in the filler plug fully lowered on 1987-1992 because then the system has a vacum when fully raised and might dislodge your upper oil seal.

At any rate, the inside of the reservoir is pressurized. If the reservoir cracks you can often fix with epoxy. If the reservoir warps then it is not worth chasing your tail by trying to fix it.

Rulost

Seaman

I really appreciate the help, didn't know about the vacume thing. Mine is a '74, will that change anything? Looking from the inside it doesn't look like there are any cracks, they must have just used what was on hand rather than try to get the correct o-ring (industrial parts place in town is the only one that carries them that big).

Hopefully the weather settles down today so I can get it back together and test further.

Rulost

Seaman
Re: Tilt pump/resevoir gasket or seal? More trouble post #7

Well I got the pump back on the boat and it leaks worse than before... Looks like the resevoir is leaking pretty bad, but that's only the start of other problems I found. In another post I saw Rritt state that the bottom line should have a certain PSI (1500, 1800?). If you look at the picture in the first post you will notice that there is no bottom line...

Now mind you, this setup was working ok, just had to add fluid before each outing. Would leak until empty over the course of a few days. When I took the pump off I noticed what looks like JB weld on the bottom. AFTER I put it back on it dawned on me that the JB is covering what is the bottom port. The line that is -supposed- to be on the bottom is in a "T" with the rear most line from the pump (copper line in above picture).

I have another pump and resevoir that I am going to put on tonight, but my question is, is there any saving this other one? Anyone have any luck getting stuff like JB weld off/out of holes? What exactly is effected by the bottom line being plugged? I'm going to try to add a union to plumb the line back where it's supposed to go until I can pull the engine to fix it right.

Spent enough years as a mechanic that I shouldn't be surprised at some of the "fixes" people use, but this one got me.

Pump bottom.JPG

Last edited: