Torque wrench cheater bar

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Do they make torque wrench cheater bars??
I have a few nuts+bolts on my machine that need to be torqued to 840 fpt and checked every 10 hours or so and my torque wrench only goes to 200 ftp.
I know they make a torque wrench multipier, but it is huge bucks, I was thinking of a bar that goes onto the 1/2 drive head and to the socket, set your torque speck and it is doubled or tripled ETC when the torque wrench clicks at prescribed setting.

thanks

Rob

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Torque wrench cheater bar

None I have ever seen. I think you are stuck with buying the torque multiplier.

Curious, what size bolts are we talking about? I ask because that is a LOT of torque for a 1/2" drive.

Yup, thats alot of torque for 1/2 drive, but thats all I have at the moment.
Time for another tool investment I am thinking, UGH!!!:facepalm:

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Rob,

Are you torquing the lug nuts on the one of the space shuttle crawlers? :D

I agree with Bubba.
That much force directly on a 1/2 inch drive torque wrench sounds like a recipe for a broken 1/2 drive torque wrench.

Jerryh3

Petty Officer 1st Class

That would have to be one hell of a cheater bar.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Yer gonna need a Torque Multiplier...

My 3/4", 4' long torque wrench only goes to 600ft.lbs...

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Have you checked into a tool rental place. You may be able to rent a multiplier or a 3/4 or 1 inch torque wrench.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

One way that I think would work:

1. Go to HF and buy a 3/4 or 1 inch drive wrench.

2. Rig an extension on the handle of the (lets say) 1 inch drive wrench. A piece of pipe slipped over the handle would probably work.

3. Figure out a way to mate your 1/2 inch drive torque wrench into the opposite end of the extension (maybe a socket on the torque wrench and a corresponding bolt on the end of the extension?).

4. Figure out your torque multiplier. This would be the total length of the torque wrench plus extension divided by the length of the torque wrench. Say your torque wrench was 2 feet long and your extension (from where you connect the torque wrench to the centerline of the fastener you will be torquing) is 3 feet long. Your multiplier is (3+2)/2, or 2.5. So if your torque wrench is set to 200 ft-lbs the applied torque will be 200 x 2.5 = 500 ft-lbs when the torque wrench clicks.

5. Make sure your health insurance is up to date.

6. Don safety glasses and any other protective equipment you have and go for it.

You can get some other ideas by Googling "torque wrench multiplier" or "how can i make a torque wrench multiplier."

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

torque multiplier or hydraulic torque wrench.

840lb-ft is a large fastener.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I only have known of one torque wrench that could have done this, it was a 4500ft lbs one can't say what it was for but was a national security deal.

Bondo

Staff member

I have a few nuts+bolts on my machine that need to be torqued to 840 fpt and checked every 10 hours or so and my torque wrench only goes to 200 ftp.
I know they make a torque wrench multipier, but it is huge bucks, I was thinking of a bar that goes onto the 1/2 drive head and to the socket, set your torque speck and it is doubled or tripled ETC when the torque wrench clicks at prescribed setting.

thanks

Rob

Ayuh,.... Just what Machine is this anyways,..?? ya sure it ain't 840 Inch pounds,..??

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Ayuh,.... Just what Machine is this anyways,..?? ya sure it ain't 840 Inch pounds,..??

Its the three bolts that hold a 36 inch long vibratory plow blade to the units shaker box.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

So I guess I am going shopping or putting a 105 pounds of down force on a 8 foot bar!!! :facepalm: ;)

Fleabays got multipliers from $36 starting bid price to buy it now $26.000>>>> BLAH!!!

dolluper

Captain

Weld them forget about torque.....need to replace cut them off ....no more time wasted ....one inch impact get you to 700 or more
Find any gold yet lol

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer

FT always worked for me.
Never failed.

Jerryh3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just drop the grand for a 1000 ftlb torque wrench.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

thanks

Rob

Just divide the 840 by your weight.

Put all of your weight on the end of a cheater bar at a distance equal to the above answer.

No torque wrench needed.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

Back in my Ft. Knox days the M48's had bolt together track sections that apparently required a lot of torque. I remember watching the guys at the Tank Park working with a wrench about 4 feet long - two of them would get on the end of the handle and push until the fitting made a satisfying "squeek." Two guys pushing on a 4 ft. bar - probably about 800 or so ft.-lbs.

So .... head for your local armory ???

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Rob, I see a youtube moment in your immediate future, please remember to get Video:D