2004 Nissan four stroke NSF 9.9B2 won't start

I bought a 2004 four stroke 9.9 B2 a couple years ago. It was in need of some serious maintanence but the price was right so I bought it. I cleaned the carb as well as everything else on the motor. It ran very well until last fall. I could not get it started. I have cleaned the carb several times...once with an ultrasonic cleaner and vinegar. I've cleaned out the tank and hose. Filter is new. Fuel pump is working. The carb is full of fuel. All ports allowed the passage of cleaner fluid and air. All moving parts appear to be working.
I have spark at both plugs. Oil level is good. If I squirt gas into the air intake, it will fire.
I am suspicious of the choke. I cannot find any information on how to test it. I've put an ohm meter on it and read 25 ohms but I don't know what that is telling me except it's not a dead short. Any ideas?

pvanv

Admiral
Re: 2004 Nissan four stroke NSF 9.9B2 won't start

Get a Factory service manual from any dealer (including me), and start from there. That motor does not have a choke. It does have an ABS, which is an enrichment system to assist cold starting. It's tested with the abs solenoid out of the carb, and 12v power applied to it.

Vinegar is not a carb cleaner.

I expect that once you clean the carb correctly, all will be OK. If the abs was the only malfunction, then once starting by richening the mix with your gas squirt, the motor should continue running. But if the low-speed passages are varnished, that would cause your symptoms.

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate your information. How much do you get for a service manual for my motor?
Vinegar is used for a medium for cleaning carbs in an ultrasound cleaner. Some guys use Simple Green or even just plain water. It heats the solution up to 80 degrees C or about 190 degrees F. Then the ultrasonic waves get deep into any nook and cranny and knocks out dirt, varnish, and whatever crud is attached. These cleaners have been used by dentists and doctors for cleaning their instruments for many years. We have seen very good success with other carb issues by using this machine but perhaps this carb might have something really, really stuck.This is my third time cleaning this carb and the first time with the ultrasound device. The previous attempts where done with NAPA carb cleaner solution.
I agree that the service manual is key as I don't know what parameters the ABS test is. Will I see the ABS needle retract? What is the current draw supposed to be for this device?
After cleaning carb again today, I put it back on the boat but it didn't fix the issue. However, by raising the idle control lever, it would fire but not run. I'm looking for a carb kit as soon as I sign off here..

pvanv

Admiral

The Factory service manual for your motor is Part# 003-21041-0, $40.00, and is available from any dealer, including me.

You may be having ABS problems. The auto-enrichment system causes the carb to run leaner after the motor has been running a while. This is controlled by a heater and expansion "solenoid" in the ABS unit. It powers up when the alternator comes on, which indicates that the motor is running. To check it, you want to confirm that you have power to it when the motor is running, that the heater in the abs is getting warm, and that the expansion chamber is in fact expanding when heated. You've already verified that the ABS is not burned to an open circuit. If the motor has been cooled down a while, and you remove the ABS from the carb, then apply 12vdc to the leads (polarity doesn't matter as it's just a heater), the solenoid needle should move slowly over the course of say a minute or so. If it does, and if you have 12v at the ABS leads when the motor is running (or if you can feel that the ABS gets warm when the motor is firing for a minute or so), then you have ruled out the ABS, and need to re-visit the carb itself.

The ultrasound system sounds interesting; Always wanted to try one. In our shop, we use room temperature carb dip, such as Tyme, for about a 4-hour carb bath, then blow out all passages with generic carb spray. That kind of dip probably should not be heated, for a number of reasons. The most common areas for varnishing are in the low-speed and idle passages. It's prudent to always run the carb dry at the end of every day to reduce that varnishing.

If you do need to get a carb kit, order Part# 3R3871221M, $55.30, from any dealer, including me.